Noah's Ark closed down

CHAIRBOY

Price wars are not the way forward these days. If there are several pubs close to one another, they should all make sure they are individual and offer a slightly different experience to the others.

Using Bradway as an experience, the Old Mother Redcap is a no frills local with good value prices and comfortable surroundings, the Castle Inn is a cosy, friendly, multi roomed pub with a good choice of real ales and entertainment and the Bradway is a more modern, smart pub focusing on premium food and drink. So each pub isn't competing directly.

Those are good examples indeed. I always like the Redcap as Sam Smiths cider is totally delicious and only sold in a handful of Sheffield pubs...

The pubs I refer to are easy to spot: usually plastered with hand written signs on the walls and huge posters in the windows with words similar to

'LOOK....99 pence a pint..SUPER VALUE'

and look like a closing down sale shop window.........

none in Bradway or Totley or Dore....I think.....

but back to topic, is the Noahs Ark open tomorrow does anyone know as I am up that way on a small pub crawl.....its been a while since I stopped off there...

an old web page here for it but not sure how up to date it is

http://www.bigeasyweb.co.uk/ark/arkhome.htm

a conspiracy by the pub landlords: the land will be sold to build more flats

a conspiracy by the breweries & supermarket: wait until most of the pubs are closed then see how the prices rise and offers cease

and a conspiracy by the government: they hate to see people enjoying themselves and is another way of nanny state by taxing our pleasure out of reach

Yes it is a very sad time when pubs hit the wall like this.I have drank here many times and always enjoyed the drink and company and found the landlady very nice. I hear talk on Crookes that it closed due to no investment of money from the owners but believe me this is untrue. Many people think the brewery pays for the upkeep of the building but this is another untruth. When starting a pub you would buy the lease which could be 25K upwards then the rent charged to the landlord on there own can cripple a business as some are 40K plus a year then your tied to buying beer/larger from the brewery which again is over priced, this can be near double on a barrel so to make a profit is near impossible. An interesting fact this pub as well as a lot is not owned by a brewery its owned by a lease and tenant company Enterprise Inns Plc, the same one that owns the Noah’s also owned The Rose House in Walkley.I fear a lot more pubs will hit the wall if companies like these don’t help there landlords..

we all know that the noahs is now closed but what people dont realise it was not down to the people who run the pub. it was family run and where very well liked by all the regulars and they made it a happy and fun pub. they improved things ie. the quiz etc. they had a good food menu on they tried to reduce the prices to give something back to the locals but as someone has said already that affects profit margins. enterprise inns put the rent up and the cost of beer was double to what you can buy in. how are you meant to run a pub if the prices from the brewery are so high and you also need to consider business rates and all other bills it costs to run a pub. if the brewery reduced their costs then maybe all the local traditional pubs would stand a chance. its just not fair. landladies and landlords loose everything wen they have to give up their pu. brewerys are loosing pubs everyday which pushes their locals out, there have been people going into the noahs for nearly 50 years and its been a very sad time to see it close but i know from close friendships that they tired everything with the brewery to get costs down but they wont budge, if they helped them oput then its safe to say they would still be open today. i wish them luck in whatever they do next

likI said previously, the conspiracy is when the local pubs have shut see how the supermarkets stop their offers and see prices rise. Carling in the supermarket at 50p pint, nearly £3 in pub, you can see the small, real pubs are being screwed by the corporate criminals.

Seemingly yet another pub has fallen on hard times with the reported closure of the Noah's Ark pub at Crookes after the bailiffs moved in this week.

All very disappointing for such a popular and well-appointed pub when once run by John and Tina Pearson, for over twenty years, to see it gradually slide down the pan to this state, once they had left.

:o

i used to work for tina and john between 1999 and 2001 and i loved working there.

i was really gutted to hear that theyd left and i have to admit i havent been in since then- but this really is sad news.

the noahs always inspired my view of what a 'proper' family run boozer should be like- clean, fresh flowers (needs a landladys touch!;)), the best pub food in crookes and broomhill, and a fantastic set of regulars (especially for brians quiz night). :thumbsup:

its such a shame to see places like this fold in favour of soulless chain pubs and pricey accommodation. :(

x

The reason for these pubs closing is the companies that own them are making life impossible for the landlords, it is an atrocious state of affairs, they do their best to get rid of a landlord, hassling them, hiking beer prices etc, so they can encourage a new one to come in, pay a huge " deposit " or for refurbishment work, and in one or two years the cycle is repeated. it is their business model to rake in as much cash as they can. I would only go to pubs that are nothing to do with enterprise inns or similar shyster corporations.

Archived