Farm at Norfolk Park

At the top end of Norfolk Park in my younger days (1940) I'm almost sure that a farm existed. Has anyone got any information about it, please?

My gran-mother lived on Warley Road and I believe that when the farmer delivered her milk.

He used a horse and trap/cart. The milk was served out of one of two churns by using a long handled ladle and poured into a big pot jug that she used.

I once broke the handle off this and I recieved a right walloping!!

I don't think the my Gran, had ever read Dr Spock!!

Yes I remember it well.

From the top of Donnington Road turn right and just before the entrance to the park on the left were two large gate posts. Through those and up the drive was the farm.

The old gentleman and his wife ran the milk round and when I knew them c1955 they delivered Express Milk delivered by the dairy to the farm. My father also had his milk delivered to the farm as well so each morning we collected the days supply ready for delivery.

Later a riding school was based there and every Saturday and Sunday horses used to be lead down the drive and around the area my sister was one of the stable girls.

I think the farm was demolished when the flats were built.

I can remember walking from Arbourthorne to the city centre through Norfolk Park and going past a field that had 2 beautiful white horses in it.One day one of them gave the other an almighty kick & that has stuck with me all these years.The time would be around 1940-42 ish.

• 4 months later...

Two farms on what is now norfolk park estate taken over by sheffield corporation in the early 60s

Downings farm entrance was at Brimesfield /Northen Ave

across thr fields to the top gate in to norfolk park near to the present cottages

the other farm was FIDLERS behind the houses on City Road near to what was deep Pits Methodist Church

The name,' Downings ' rings a bell from a distant childhood memory. Thank you.

Hi Albert, in the 60s, I used to knock about with Peter Downings, the milkmans son. He went to Hurlfield and they lived in one of the cottages that were opposite the pavillion at the top of Norfolk Park.

Archived