Hillsborough Shops Of The Past

That would be Kay's at 26 Middlewood Road, run by the rather eccentric Marion and Clarice Kay. They inherited the business from their father Joseph Hedley Kay and neither of them ever married. They actually had degrees from Edinburgh University, but were content to continue the family business. Marion (the big one) was 9 years older than Clarica and was definitely the boss. The huge counter was covered with newspapers and magazines, and they always knew exactly where to find the one you wanted. They also sold a few toys, as well as bundles of firewood and other sundries, and of course fireworks in October/November. If they were closed they would serve you at the back door - I remember buying a jogsaw puzzle this way during a wet weekend. They sold the business in the late 1970s - the shop stood where the entrance to the Arcade is now. The sisters moved to a semi on Stanwood Crescent and died within a few months of each other in 1982 - Marion was 81 and Clarice was 72. That was Burgins – I got my first schoolbag there as well. The shop can be seen in the background of this picture of a No 31 bus turning into Forbes Road.

Snap so did I my school satchel was bought at Burgins.

On Hillsborough corner was Public Benefit shoe shop,opposite on the other corner wasTtimpsons shoe shop,and next door to Timpsons was Maypole grocers shop I think.

On the other corner was Burtons men shop with a dance hall above it where the snooker hall is now.next door was Priestleys bakers and confectioners

I worked as a saturday girl at Burton`s, I used to work from around 8.30am to 5.00pm for around £1.00 !!!

Edited by Ms Macbeth
fixed quotes

On Hillsborough corner was Public Benefit shoe shop,opposite on the other corner wasTtimpsons shoe shop,and next door to Timpsons was Maypole grocers shop I think.

On the other corner was Burtons men shop with a dance hall above it where the snooker hall is now.next door was Priestleys bakers and confectioners

I worked as a saturday girl at Burton`s, I used to work from around 8.30am to 5.00pm for around £1.00 !!!

I bet you enjoyed spending that pound and got more fun than than the kids these days.:D

Those were the days.

I will ask a question which I asked quite a while ago and no one knew what I was talking about.Does anyone remember the Tarzan Field on Bradfield road?

Edited by Ms Macbeth
fixed quotes

I bet you enjoyed spending that pound and got more fun than than the kids these days.:D

Those were the days.

I will ask a question which I asked quite a while ago and no one knew what I was talking about.Does anyone remember the Tarzan Field on Bradfield road?

Was it near the cottages at the Penistone road end ?

Edited by Ms Macbeth
fixed quotes

No it was where Dunelm Mill is now,there was a doctors house opposite The Blue Ball and a gate at the side where us kids used to go down into the field,and in the summer when the river was low we could walk under the bridge through to the other side.

Kids from down Rudyard Road used to climb down the Dyke (we used to call it The Dyke). wall from the houses down Rudyard and play in the river down there.

No it was where Dunelm Mill is now,there was a doctors house opposite The Blue Ball and a gate at the side where us kids used to go down into the field,and in the summer when the river was low we could walk under the bridge through to the other side.

Kids from down Rudyard Road used to climb down the Dyke (we used to call it The Dyke). wall from the houses down Rudyard and play in the river down there.

No I can't remember that but I remember the chip shop on Rudyard Road !

... in the summer when the river was low we could walk under the bridge through to the other side..
I remember walkling under the bridge and up the side of the weir when the river was low. Here's a photo taken at such a time from Hill Bridge (Walkley Lane) looking through the arch. Edited by hillsbro

This is not strictly on the topic of 'shops' but it is about 'Hillsborough', this event took place probably around mid to late 50's to an individual who lived close to Middlewood Rd, somewhere past the cinema and the line of shops that also housed a garage yard entry and Nelsons TV shop, the exact location is approximate and not important really. *** Apparently the guy in question was getting very high 'electric bills', I don't remember if bills were paid monthly or quarterly, but his were astronomically high and getting higher, it seemed to me that his complaints were falling on deaf ears. *** I have no idea how long this went on for, they assured him that their equipment was working fine and that the hundreds of pounds that was probably accumulating in arrears had to be paid. *** I don't recall the exact sequence of events but by now the utility people were coming to shut his power off and the 'Sheffield Star' was following the story. You can't make this stuff up really, it's almost like a comedy routine, when they finally shut his power off all the street lights on Middlewood Rd went out. *** Somehow on a new extension of the lighting, it had got routed into the blokes house, how does that happen? That little thingy-bob that goes around in the meter must have been really moving.

I remember walkling under the bridge and up the side of the weir when the river was low. Here's a photo taken at such a time from Hill Bridge (Walkley Lane) looking through the arch.

On this photo Hillsbro you can see the trees of the Tarzan Fields it much have been a name that the kids down Rudyard gave it.

Out of interest, does anybody know when Dunelm Mills was built on that site. I can't remember it being built or if it was another shop before. I remember my grandparents taking my siblings and I to a place in Hillsborough with a swing, but like a homemade one (a bit vague I know, but its one of my earliest memories). I've lived in Hillsborough all my life and I know it wasn't somewhere obvious or remaining nowadays. So when I read about this 'Tarzan field' it reminded me. My grandparents aren't with me any more to ask. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Also just to add, the first house I lived in was on Treswell crescent, which is what made me think this location possible.