Hillsborough Shops Of The Past

Has anyone mentioned Howards Dairy , just up from Greaves Optical. The bicycle shop on Catch Bar Lane.was it Bert Beetles, or is that just what we called it?
Howard's Dairy had the best ice cream :love: in Sheffield. In summer they sold the ice cream through a hatch to passers-by on their way to and from the park. The bicycle shop was Bert Beach's.:hihi: Does anyone remember the counter, which had dozens of foreign coins nailed to it? Tony Butterworth (great bloke - a real Wednesday fan) bought the business in 1964 after Bert died.

• 3 months later...

After the National School was demolished, a one-room temporary (?) school building was put up to house two classes of probably 30 pupils each side, facing each other, with the teachers in the middle back to back.

The alleyway at the right was always known as Blue Ball Lane and towards the bottom of the lane, before you got to the arched wooden gate into the Blue Ball yard, was a flour hoist where cockroaches fell through the wooden floor into the lane.

I attended that one-room school in 1935/36 until we moved to Wisewood and I went to Wisewood school and then Marlcliffe.

• 2 weeks later...
as a young boy we lived in stannington and dad used to take us boys down to a gents retailers across the road from Woolworths. behind the counter everything was in glass drawers. dont remember the name of the shop but might have been parkers

Yes it was Parkers,good shop they didnt need to measure your waist and chest but got the size right every time. I remember looking at the size of cod in Claytons fish shop, some of them must have been four feet long, you dont see them that big now, my dad used to buy a cod steaks, sliced right the way through, each steak would fill a frying pan. he also bought Herrings by the dozen for about a 1/2 crown twelve and a half pence back in the 60s.