Hillsborough Shops Of The Past

Yes - Parkers could be relied on for well-fitting clothes. Next door was Parkers jewellers (it's still there); the shops were owned by two brothers whose father, William Parker, opened a pawnbroker's shop there in the early 1900s.

I used to get my eyes tested and glasses from Greaves.

This would be in the 50s /60s.

I always thought she was Miss Greaves

Does anyone remember a little place,I think it was on Taplin Rd that sold meat pies.

The memory is vague but I think there were tables to 'Eat in'.

Doused with relish which I am sure was called "Yorkshire Relish"

Whether it was Hendersons I do not remember

Hi, just found this thread. Yes she was Miss Greaves. I know this because it’s one of those family stories that kept getting raised during humourous moments. My Grandmother who lived with us when I was a kid, God bless her, she was stone deaf and my Mum once took her to Greaves Opticians and Miss Greaves was being a bit awkward and bolshy so my Grandmother, being deaf and talking loudly without realising it, said at the top her voice ‘Blimey, no wonder she’s a Miss’!

Classic one Gran 

I worked at 'Tom Claytons' fish and poultry shop in 1964.

I left because it was 59 hours a week, as I was playing in a local band (Beat Group) at the time getting to work for 0730 and working until 1815 (6-30pm) was a bit too much especialy for £12 a week.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
does anyone remember randy,s chip shop?top of rudyard road.

Also the other shops on rudyard road.

Baxters fruit shop

masseys,hjj

bockings.

Wombwells

the shop below randys was owned by a mrs hotchen, i used to go out with her daughter in the 60;s

hi Nosy Nellie. Do you remember twins who lived down Rudyard road, they were a bit older than I was, but that was a rarety in those days to see many twins about. Jan

the shop just below randys was owned by a mrs hotchen no 17, i used to go out with her daughter in the sixtys

I used to get my eyes tested and glasses from Greaves. This would be in the 50s /60s...
I just did some "homework" on Greaves' opticians. The 1968 directory shows "Miss V. Greaves" at No 88 Middlewood Road, but a second entry for No 88 is "H. Greaves & Son, ophthalmic opticians". So perhaps the optician's business was still in Miss Greaves' father's and brother's name, while she actually continued the practice and lived over the shop. Going back further, the 1942 directory shows the opticians' practice at 88 Middlewood Road in the names of "Bernard Greaves" and "Miss Vera Greaves". However, exactly the same names are given for another opticians' practice at 92 Holme Lane.

BMD records show that Vera Greaves was born on 19 November 1897 and died in Jan-Mar 1976. In the 1911 census she appears with her older brother Bernard and parents Henry and Eliza Greaves at 92 Holme Lane. Henry is described as a "watch and clock repairer" and the watch and clock repairing business is thus shown at 92 Holme Lane in the 1925 directory.

So perhaps "H. Greaves & Son, ophthalmic opticians" was set up when Bernard qualified as an optician and Henry provided the money to set him up in business at his Holme Lane address, with Vera joining the practice when she qualified and opening a branch of the business in Middlewood Road. Vera's father Henry died aged 88 in 1947, while Bernard proved difficult to trace.

The 1973 directory which I happen to have still shows the opticians' practice at 88 Middlewood Road, by which time Vera Greaves would have been in her mid-70s.

Randy's chip shop, the best chip shop in Sheffield, I was told that he only used the best Faroe cod, best potato's and best pork dripping, it may have been best beef dripping after all these years I'm not certain. He didn't open during the day and Wednesday nights, that is when we had to use other local chippies, Taplin Road, Bradfield Road, Holme Lane and Langsett Road, all very good but Randy's was the best.

ahhh... beef dripping, the secret ingredient for the best fish n chips in the universe :D I think lunns on holme lane used to use it