Sonic Boom at Leadmill vs Brighton Beach at Academy

hillsgal

I've had really top nights at both Brighton Beach and Sonic Boom and was a bit addicted to both of them a few years ago. :rolleyes:

I've not been to Brighton Beach at the Academy yet but went to the last one at the City Hall and as you didn't know it was carrying on, it felt really quite a symbolic night, watching all the Ska boys dressed up in the little room. I've always liked the mix of Mod, Northern Soul and Britpop and then the more eclectic ska and other stuff in the other room. Hope that it's similar when i finally go to Roxys for it.

Sonic Boom - started going more to Threads about two summers ago as it was more exciting at that point. But prior to that, I loved it and would be there most weeks. It started getting a bit too pop indie - Pigeon Detectives or a bit too obscure indie and not playing the older stuff - i took some friends who are not as into music as i am and they didn't know hardly anything. The second room of soul and motown was always good though. I'd like to go soon though as I've hardly been to the Leadmill at all this year.

(Been more into late bars)

I've had really top nights at both Brighton Beach and Sonic Boom and was a bit addicted to both of them a few years ago. :rolleyes:

I've not been to Brighton Beach at the Academy yet but went to the last one at the City Hall and as you didn't know it was carrying on, it felt really quite a symbolic night, watching all the Ska boys dressed up in the little room. I've always liked the mix of Mod, Northern Soul and Britpop and then the more eclectic ska and other stuff in the other room. Hope that it's similar when i finally go to Roxys for it.

Sonic Boom - started going more to Threads about two summers ago as it was more exciting at that point. But prior to that, I loved it and would be there most weeks. It started getting a bit too pop indie - Pigeon Detectives or a bit too obscure indie and not playing the older stuff - i took some friends who are not as into music as i am and they didn't know hardly anything. The second room of soul and motown was always good though. I'd like to go soon though as I've hardly been to the Leadmill at all this year.

(Been more into late bars)

Which one do you reckon is most likely to play classic 90s indie? It doesn't have to be nothing but that, but I'm not too fussed about a lot of the poppier indie around at the moment so I'd much prefer somewhere that's going to play some older stuff.

What constitutes better music, in your opinion?

I'm into indie. Not keen on Northern Soul which is why I'm not so keen on Brighton Beach.

Transmission at Carling academy on Fridays is good but they play more new than old stuff.

Which one do you reckon is most likely to play classic 90s indie? It doesn't have to be nothing but that, but I'm not too fussed about a lot of the poppier indie around at the moment so I'd much prefer somewhere that's going to play some older stuff.

90s indie i'd say BB but you might like Transmission as well although some newer stuff gets played as well.

I'm into indie. Not keen on Northern Soul which is why I'm not so keen on Brighton Beach.

Transmission at Carling academy on Fridays is good but they play more new than old stuff.

Hmmm...sounds like me. I used to go to BB in Leeds years ago when it was all one room and I was never bothered about the Northern Soul bits of it. Might try BB next time it's on seeing as it's only once a month, and give the Leadmill a go another weekend. Cheers!

Archived