Do Sheffield kids still say 'thee' and 'thou'?

Beery

I was brought up by my mum who was raised with (and retained) the "thees and thous" that she had got from her father, who was a well regarded 'little mester' in Heeley, so I became used to using 'thee and thou' routinely at home, at least until I was about ten years old when I moved to Wolverhampton where the kids would tease me for speaking 'posh' (would you believe it!).

But I still know how to use thee and thou, and I often find fault with the authors of historical novels who try (but fail dismally) to lend a period flavour to their works by sticking a 'thee' where a 'thou' should be.

I've been away from Sheffield for nearly 40 years (and away from England for twenty), and I was wondering if Sheffield kids today still say 'thee' and 'thou' and use plenty of dialect as my generation used to do when we were kids, or whether the dialect is losing ground due to the more standard English of TV?

The yorkshire dialect is dying out because all the teachers stop your kids speaking that way (theeing and thouing).thee and thou is frowned upon such as swearing and its is WRONG:sad:

But I still know how to use thee and thou, and I often find fault with the authors of historical novels who try (but fail dismally) to lend a period flavour to their works by sticking a 'thee' where a 'thou' should be.

Isn't there a religious sect in the US who still commonly use the old singular case prepositions ? The Amish...or perhaps a branch of the Quakers ?

The correct usage of thou, thee, thy and thine is well preserved in the King James bible but I doubt most authors of historical novels have ever read it :)

The yorkshire dialect is dying out because all the teachers stop your kids speaking that way (theeing and thouing).thee and thou is frowned upon such as swearing and its is WRONG:sad:

I think that's a bit of a generalisation. I'm a Sheffield lass born and bred and proud of it. I am also a teacher - I teach out in Derbyshire and my pupils are always picking up on my Sheffield speach and find some of the things I say (without even realising it) highly amusing. I definately do not frown upon local dialect words like thee and thou and think they make the English language so much more interesting!!

As a little girl in the 60s, If us kids ever used the words thee, nowt, geeor, etc, in the earshot of our Mother,we got a hard slap straight across the face and told not to be so common ( our Dad never knew about this ). But Dad spoke like this all the time.

I am pleased to say my accent is alive and strong, and I speak as I wish in front of her now, being 48 and not scared of her anymore..... and living 100 miles away.

Archived