Do Sheffield kids still say 'thee' and 'thou'?

Beery

I take it "gi 'oer" is "give over" which my Nan used to say all the time but my family has always come from Essex or East London is that not a regional thing?

My gf has just moved up to Sheffield to teach after always living in Essex, any tips for her? :)

I take it "gi 'oer" is "give over" which my Nan used to say all the time but my family has always come from Essex or East London is that not a regional thing?

My gf has just moved up to Sheffield to teach after always living in Essex, any tips for her? :)

What part of Sheffield is she teaching in, btw a member ednakrabbapple will be able to give her a lot of tips (a forum member whom is a teacher).

I think that's a bit of a generalisation. I'm a Sheffield lass born and bred and proud of it. I am also a teacher - I teach out in Derbyshire and my pupils are always picking up on my Sheffield speach and find some of the things I say (without even realising it) highly amusing. I definately do not frown upon local dialect words like thee and thou and think they make the English language so much more interesting!!

Speach??? Definately??? And you're a schoolteacher??? It's speech and definitely.

I'm all in favour of retaining local accents and dialects, but that doesn't mean accepting sloppy English grammar and spelling. I'm sorry, but as a schoolteacher you should know better, whether or not you are actually teaching English as a subject.

Speach??? Definately??? And you're a schoolteacher??? It's speech and definitely.

I'm all in favour of retaining local accents and dialects, but that doesn't mean accepting sloppy English grammar and spelling. I'm sorry, but as a schoolteacher you should know better, whether or not you are actually teaching English as a subject.

Sorry Mate, I totally agree, I was rushing and didn't proof read. But to be fair comments I write on here are no reflection on my teaching!

"Ill brick thee if tha carries on !!

'Tha' = thou

'Thee' = thee

'Thi' = thy (sounds about the same as 'thee')

It was the same in my day - no one ever really said 'thou', but that's how I always spelled it.

I'm a poofy southerner living in sheffield, and also a linguist by trade, so I listen out for things like this. I've heard thee and thou used by young workers from remaining sheffield steelworks, by eavesdropping on trains, etc, but not much elsewhere. Only other place I've heard young people using thee and thou naturally is Wigan. I'd be sorry to see these words die.

Every time I do hear thee and thou, I have this urge to tap the speaker on the shoulder and say, in my poshest london voice, I say, old boy, did you know that you a native speaker of the only dialect of English in the world that distinguishes between nominative and accusative in the second person singular? But somebody warned me that it might not be a wise idea to try this with a doped-up steelworker on a junket to donny races for some reason ..

...native speaker of the only dialect of English in the world that distinguishes between nominative and accusative in the second person singular...

Interesting. I also think it's interesting that the use of 'thee', 'thou' and 'you' allows the listener to know when a person is speaking to a single person (thee or thou) or to a crowd (you). This distinction has fallen out of usage in modern English even though it seems to me that it would be useful in some circumstances.

Archived