Do Sheffield kids still say 'thee' and 'thou'?

Beery

Isn't there a religious sect in the US who still commonly use the old singular case prepositions ? The Amish...or perhaps a branch of the Quakers ?...

I believe the Amish do use thee and thou. Older Quakers use thee, but for some reason not thou, so they say things like "Are thee going to meeting" instead of "Art thou going..." etc. I'm a Quaker myself (I've been one for about ten years), and since I grew up with the old prepositions it's always bothered me that they mangle the prepositions even when they're in some sense preserving them.

Quakerism retained the old prepositions because the use of 'you' was commonly used when speaking to people of higher social standing, so the Quakers, believing that we are all equal in the sight of God, refused the use of 'you'. Ironic that common usage went the opposite way and achieved the same effect, by getting rid of thee and thou and equalizing everyone with the use of 'you'.

Sorry Mate, I totally agree, I was rushing and didn't proof read. But to be fair comments I write on here are no reflection on my teaching!

It was really rather rude of me, so thank you for taking my lambasting in the spirit it was intended. Just don't do it again!

It was really rather rude of me, so thank you for taking my lambasting in the spirit it was intended. Just don't do it again!

I am a bit of a pedant on the quiet.

A beautifully produced (on the surface, at least) lifestyle magazine called Dish, which appears to be produced by the owners of the Catch, Artisan, Thyme, etc, restaurant chain, has just landed on my doormat.

The blurb on Catch begins: "One of the cities only dedicated fish restaurants." :sad::sad::sad:

The blurb on Catch begins: "One of the cities only dedicated fish restaurants." :sad::sad::sad:

Oh I hate that sort of thing and, sadly, it's becoming more common, even in professional publications. Part of the blame lies with shoddy proofreading software, but most of it lies with editors who can't or won't do their job properly.

Oh I hate that sort of thing and, sadly, it's becoming more common, even in professional publications. Part of the blame lies with shoddy proofreading software, but most of it lies with editors who can't or won't do their job properly.

A professional journalist (like wot I wos for 40-odd years) shouldn't need proofreading software. I didn't even know it existed, other than stuff such as Spellcheck on Microsoft Word (and that seems to want to spell everything in the American way). I was trained to be able to spell my own words and string grammatical sentences together. And don't get me started on the overuse of hyphens. In fact just don't get me started!

I love hyphens - just love 'em - mainly because I have no idea how to use colons and semicolons - or commas for that matter - so a hyphen is a great tool for a semi-illiterate like me. It also allows me to write the above, all in a single sentence, in a way that allows people to understand what I'm saying, but without me having to use any actual grammar, LOL.

I believe the Amish do use thee and thou. Older Quakers use thee, but for some reason not thou, so they say things like "Are thee going to meeting" instead of "Art thou going..." etc. I'm a Quaker myself (I've been one for about ten years), and since I grew up with the old prepositions it's always bothered me that they mangle the prepositions even when they're in some sense preserving them.

Quite a lot of Quakers went out from the Sheffield area during 'the troubles' and settled somewhere on Long Island I think, but I'm sure they would have used thee and thou etc. correctly :)

I love hyphens - just love 'em - mainly because I have no idea how to use colons and semicolons - or commas for that matter - so a hyphen is a great tool for a semi-illiterate like me. It also allows me to write the above, all in a single sentence, in a way that allows people to understand what I'm saying, but without me having to use any actual grammar, LOL.

They're not hypens, they're dashes.

What I mean is where a paper describes somebody as being 36-years-old. Totally unnecessary. What they mean is 36 years old. You can talk about a 36-year-old man (with hyphens) when you are using it to describe the man, but when you're saying that a man is 36 years old, that doesn't need hypens.

Going off at a bit of a tangent, I have friends who have a Border collie which they call Comma - because he never comes to a full stop!

What part of Sheffield is she teaching in, btw a member ednakrabbapple will be able to give her a lot of tips (a forum member whom is a teacher).

Not sure it's my place to mention which school but it's in the south east of town and gets a lot of sucking air through teeth reactions when mentioned to people. :hihi:

She's found the forum but not sure if she's joined up yet.

Archived