Lowedges- in the 50s, 60s and 70s

Hi Just come across this site and saw my name mentioned - I lived on Toppham Way when you could see the Peak District from our living room window before the estate became as large as it is now. Remmber loads of guys and girls mentioned but would love to know where my old mate Phil Pywell (might be spelt wrong) or Kieth Grant are now.

Would this be Keith Grant who lived on Gervase Avenue, his father Sid worked at Express Dairies on Broadfield Road and brother Dave went on to play left back for the owls? If so, he went on to become an asphalt roofing contractor with his own business and is still working in the trade.

Thats the guy. We both worked as van lads for the S&E out of the Millhouses depot and left to become apprentice ashpalters with Amalgamated Asphalting Company before I left to join the army - I also remember David and watched him play for the owls - Have you any contact details for Kieth as we spent our early teen years together -got ****** most nights in the Norton when it was a proper pub and escaped being picked up by the cops (we were only 15 when we started) but got checked out three times for our ages when over 18Great days.

Hi

We lived and my mum still does live on Toppham Way and I have a photo of me and a load of other kids standing on a heap of sand just as they were laying the foundations to the Magpie. Remember playing in fields in front of our house before the road was finished, the massionettes, the church, the school and the shops built. Have loads of fond memories of Lowedges when it was a brand new and friendly estate. We visit my mum regularly and find it now to be a run down dirty place. Remember fondly the family who lived next door to us 'The Smiths' Roger, Ralph and Susan in particular and their mum who was a fantastic friendly and loving lady who made everyone welcome. Ralph spent his younger days kicking **** out of me - I think they call it bullying now. But inspite of that we all got on well

Thats the guy. We both worked as van lads for the S&E out of the Millhouses depot and left to become apprentice ashpalters with Amalgamated Asphalting Company before I left to join the army - I also remember David and watched him play for the owls - Have you any contact details for Kieth as we spent our early teen years together -got ****** most nights in the Norton when it was a proper pub and escaped being picked up by the cops (we were only 15 when we started) but got checked out three times for our ages when over 18Great days.

The last that I saw Keith he was living in the Dronfield area but I'm not sure if he is still there. I will attempt to find out more and will PM you if I do.

Keiths dad Sid and brother Dave still drink in the White Swan at Greenhill so I presume that Keith does also. Unfortunately, I don't go in there anymore but I have had many a good evening in there with the three of them in the past.

• 2 months later...
Any of you out there lived on the Lowedges in the 60's and 70's. Did you frequent the Grennel Mower, Magpie, Bradway Hotel, White Hart etc. Did you go to the youth club at the church on the second shops and later the new youth club ran by a guy called John Fair? Do the names Gus, Haggis, Az, Big Willie, Maltby, Ruddy, Rare'un ring a bell???

Just Stummbled on this site. Gus Still Goes In The Magpie, Every Sunday Afternoon, Haggis(Pat) Moved Away To Brid I Belive.

Az(Harold) is Still About, Woodseats Club Regular(The Dale).

Hope This Helps.:hihi:

Gus is now a pathetic elderly bloke who was always a bully when he was backed up by a gang of 10 but couldn't ever punch his way out of a wet paper bag when he was on his own.

As for these stupid stories that the fletchers (or the hansons or the maltbys) RAN anything on lowedges, well the only thing that I can say is that none of these arsehole families ever ran or dictated anything on the estate.The whole say so, as to what was allowed to happen on the estate, was firmly in the hands of someone who would not have even turned a head, such was his anonimity.

You Cant Know Ansons That Well As You Cant Even Spel It!!!!

And Your Name Is?

Lets see If The Big Man Can Back Up The Gob Eh?

Whats Your Name?

i was brought up on lowedges in the 70s, moved off when i was 18, recently moved back on to the estate, but some of the names are familiar, can anyone remember darren jeffcock. and the whymans

Thats a name i have'nt heard for a while!!! yes darren was a good friend of mine. Sadley missed xxxx:(

was a good mate of mine 2, used to come to my place alot, was really bad that day he died

WELL TO BE HONEST I HAD TO CUT AWAY FROM THAT CROWD SOME 6MTH BEFORD HE DIED BECAUSE I WENT CLEAN....AND HAVE BEEN NOW FOR 12YRS ISH!!!, GOT A DECENT G/F, 2 KIDS, 1 ON WAY....AND IM SURE I WOULDNT HAVE HAD ALL THAT IF I STAYED ON THAT ROAD.......

SO WHEN EVER YOU HEAR PEOPLE SAY" ONCE A USER, ALWAYS A USER"

YOU CAN TELL THEM THAT AINT TRUE AND KICK THERE A*SE FOR ME:hihi:

i DO THINK OF JEFF OFTEN THOUGH