Former RAF Aerodrome Norton Woodseats

Hi PT,

If you read S.Brocklesby again, you will see that he did not say that it closed in 1953 but that he was demobbed in that year.

Regards,

Mike

I beg your puffin ! ;)

I misread the post:- I interpreted it as the site was demobbed in 53.

Put it down to me having a bit of a "blonde" moment.

Any idea of the loction of the shooting butts as there is no referance on the maps availble so I can add it to the plan of the area that Iam doing ????/ also does anyone know of or have any pictures of the two anti aircraft guns. One just opposite the power station at norton roundabout and the one the was at the top of coalaton hill to the left of the farm

• 5 months later...

The question re DERBY/YORKS boundry it ran though the middle of the camp in the 50s

Iwas stationed there and can remember the question being asked who do we send for Police/fire service on checking maps it was found that the officers mess the dinning room was in DERBYSHIRE the anti room was in YORKSHIRE

In 1955 ther was a fire in the M.T Yard station fire brigade was turned out a small bantam truck with one fire man and is duty fire crew of station airmen

sheffield fire service were also called they arrived put out the fire and was on there way out of the camp when the station fire engine arrived at the m.t.yard being pushed by the firemen Iunderstand that sheffield fire service did state that it was a derbyshire job and we should have called them [nearest Ekington] I WAS THERE ONE OF MANY TALES OF MY THREE YEARS ON THE CAMP

I was in the ATC in 1957, and it was certainly open then, as we attended the air show there. I still have some photos of the aircraft flying over, Shackleton, Vickers Varsity and Valliant V bomber, to name a few. The RAF mountain rescue team also put on a display climbing the giant hanger walls with ropes etc.

I was particularly chuffed at being allowed to sit in the cockpit of the Spitfire that acted as gate guardian, this same machine is now on display at the RAF museum at Hendon, see seperate thread about this on forum.

The air show was I believe, an annual event, I wonder if anyone else remembers this?

Yes that Aerodrome between the old Coal Aston Rd. and Chesterfield Rd. took aircraft before WW2. I went past it many a time but never looked over the high hedge which surounded it. A Canadian who flew Hurricanes and Lancasters during the war told me his brother was flying spitfires out of Sheffield, I don't know how true this is but he didn't give me the impression he would lie. I do know Canadians were stationed there during the war.

Hi ptaA

SORRY THESE NAME MEAN NOTHING TO ME POSS THAT I LIVED UP CAMP IN SPARE OFFICERS QUARTERS DUE TO A GOOD C.O WHO LOOKED AFTER STAFF DUE TO HAVING UNSOCIAL HOURS TO TO HIS LOVE OF PARTIES ANY REASON TO HAVE ONE ?

BOY DID WE HAVE SOME GOOD NIGHTS AND EARLY MORNINGS