Former RAF Aerodrome Norton Woodseats

hi midge which house turn left off lightwood lane the first house was a detatch this was station commanders W/C Mummery A SMASHING GENTELMAN

then there is two block of two semi detatched these were for station F/L Dean Wilson

can not remember other two

hope this might be of interest to your cousin

Iam suprised to hear about the wardrobes should have thourt r.a.f. would have taken them but must have been made of good stuff not bad at 55 years old

I vividly remember the flying display with Meteors ,Vampires Canberras and the like. Any one else remember these open day displays???????

I remember going in the late fifties, I think there were also Hawker Hunter aircraft doing their fly-past. (only jet aircraft in world to be able to recover from a spin in free-fall)

This has been mentioned before, but just for anyone who does not know, the MK24 Spitfire that used to be the gate guardian at Norton is now on display at the RAF museum in Hendon.

Yes, and it is a fantastic day out at Hendon. Quite a way to travel, but it is free entry, and an absolute must for any full-on raf anoraks like us!!! Also, despite being in London, the cafe prices are very reasonable.:) Having done a lot of research on RAF Norton, it was great seeing the spitfire gate guardian which so many people remember at the site.

Yes Vulcan, the Hendon museum is terrific, but for all us Yorkshire folk, don't forget our local air museum at Elvington near York, well worth a visit, and for a one off experience you can have a conduted tour of the Halifax bomber, the only one in Britain available for you to actually get inside.

Yes Vulcan, the Hendon museum is terrific, but for all us Yorkshire folk, don't forget our local air museum at Elvington near York, well worth a visit, and for a one off experience you can have a conduted tour of the Halifax bomber, the only one in Britain available for you to actually get inside.

Spot on Malc, Elvington is a fabulous museum and retains it's wartime feel with the control tower and accomodations. It is very atmospheric, particularly the garden of remembrance, and an excellent teaching aid for younger generations who may not appreciate the sacrifices made.

A party of us from Scarborough Historical Aircraft Club are going to Elvington this Friday, most of the guys are ex RAF, a couple from WW2, the tour round the Halifax is going to be the highlight.

I feel very privledged to know these men who actually flew in WW2, on of the guys was an air-gunner in Hampden bombers, which were already obsolete at the start of the war.

interestingly, one of the founders of the club was "Ginger" Lacey, the WW2 battle of Britain fighter ace. He was a Bridlington man, a plaque is dedicated to him in Bridlington Priory.

I remember going to an air display in the early 50s The most memorable was to see an Avro Vulcan V bomber fly low overhead then climb almost vertical with a tremendous roar of its jet engines to vanish into the sky.

• 3 weeks later...

Im concinced that as a child in the 70's, I went to some kind of show/display there. I recall seing an F1 style racing car whizzing around a make shift track, being followed by a police Range Rover.

My parents dont remember this so could I have dreamt it, or did these kind of displays actually exist on the aerodrome?