Former RAF Aerodrome Norton Woodseats

I was in the ATC in 1957, and was on duty at Norton, acting as stewards, for the annual flying display. The aircraft I can remember giving display were;- Avro Shackleton, Valliant V-bomber, Handley Page Hastings, Chipmunk trainers, Hawker Hunter, I took great delight in sitting in the cockpit of the Mk24 Spitfire which was the gate guardian.

there was also internal displays of radar equipment, a RR Griffon engine, and other bits and pieces.

The RAF mountain rescue squad also gave a display of climbing the huge hanger wall with ropes etc. It was a warm sunny day, and I recall it was packed with people who had come for the show, I believe it was spread over a Saturday and Sunday, a very popular annual event in Sheffield.

Anyone know what is happening to the old Norton aerodrome. There are rumours that it has been bought we wondered what was going to be on it. We were told the Sheffield College were interested in the site, any info anyone??

I was born in Lister Crescent, just off White Lane and the "Balloon Barage" as we called it was about half an hours walk up the hill towards Graves Park. I am just old enough to remember the balloons in ww2 and as a youngster after the war I was into 9.5mm cine (an old kodak camera from Sheffield Photo Co) which I used to film the air displays there (they couldn't land!) sometimes.

I went to a little "private" school called "Gleadless High School" run By Mrs Reynolds, anyone remember this or her, I think that her daughter was called Margaret.? Lister Crescent was then just outside the Yorkshire boundary (it was the stream at the bottom of our garden).

I now live in Brittany.

Happy days, Brian Cooper

• 2 months later...

War Pig IF I AM RIGHT THIS PLAQUE IS R.A.F.NORTON STATION BADGE FOR THE GROUND RADAR SERVICING SECTION witch was at this camp early 50s to when it closed in60s

It used to send maintanance crews out to r.a.f. station to service there radar gear

it also recieved ground radar vehs from the makers and then brought them up to requred spec and tested them before sending them out, quiet a number of these convoys up to 15 vehs were sold to other countrys some of witch had to be painted sand colour

Its station name was 90GROUP SIGNALLS AND IN THE MID 50 the c.o was W/C K MUMMERY

War Pig IF I AM RIGHT THIS PLAQUE IS R.A.F.NORTON STATION BADGE FOR THE GROUND RADAR SERVICING SECTION witch was at this camp early 50s to when it closed in60s

It used to send maintanance crews out to r.a.f. station to service there radar gear

it also recieved ground radar vehs from the makers and then brought them up to requred spec and tested them before sending them out, quiet a number of these convoys up to 15 vehs were sold to other countrys some of witch had to be painted sand colour

Its station name was 90GROUP SIGNALLS AND IN THE MID 50 the c.o was W/C K MUMMERY

Thanks for the info. I find the history of this area fascinating. I saw the plaque at the aviation museum in Doncaster

http://www.aeroventure.org.uk/

There often seems to be some confusion over the names of the RAF sites around Norton, perhaps you can help clarify..

The museum refered to the site next to Lightwood Lane as RAF Norton, and the site at Rowlinson School as RAF Coal Aston. The latter extended either side of Dyche Lane, with a narrow guage railway taking goods between the two.

RAF Norton

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee192/thebear843/078.jpg

RAF Coal Aston

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee192/thebear843/080.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee192/thebear843/085.jpg

RAF Norton was at Lightwood and existed from 1939 to the 1960's. RAF Coal Aston was a WW1 site mainly involved with maintenance and repair of aircraft. It closed in the 1920's. It was very big and even had its own railway.

See post 102 on this thread.

Edited by algy