Former RAF Aerodrome Norton Woodseats

does eney one know where i can find out the history about this former raf station that has been around sheffield for over 60 years now their are no web sites at all that i can find thanks.......

Yes I remember it..Used to go to the Sargeants Mess for a drink..Bar open all hours..Pady Murphy was a Warrant officer and I drank there with him and My parents..Joe and Winifred Kenrick..Also the Tebbs Brothers local bookmakers were regular attenders...Dont know much about the OPS but plenty of drinking duties every night..This was in the 60's

I can recall going to norton aerodrome to help my father marshall at Sheffield & Hallamshire motor club events.They used to hold sprints and slalom events.I recall a brilliant recovery by someone driving an A30 van in the slalom..onto two wheels and going to roll.Another recollection was someone allowing his wife to drive the TR2 in the sprint and she couldnt handle the power,ended up in a ditch!!Probably late 1950's.

• 5 months later...

Re R.A.F. Norton

That is where the the Aerial[riggers] training school was .

I was there in 1957 for the 3 month course , then it was off to R.A.F Henlow

as a new Senior Air Craftsman.

I remember the wooden huts with their pot bellied stoves,hot in the summer and freezing in the winter

We built a dry stone dyke wall in front of the School building , the hard bit was collecting the stones big enough to build it

I remember the school won the Tug of War that year ,I was on the team &

have a Medal to prove it,we beat the Sergeants ,who I,m sure were feeling no pain with ale .

The food was great ,the Sergeant cook was a Giant of man ,a gold medalist & the corporal also had a gold medal for cooking , rare for a National Service man.

I completed my 2 years national service at R.A.F. Henlow

Happy days ??

I should look out the old Photographs and post them.

Re R.A.F. Norton

That is where the the Aerial[riggers] training school was .

I was there in 1957 for the 3 month course , then it was off to R.A.F Henlow

as a new Senior Air Craftsman.

I remember the wooden huts with their pot bellied stoves,hot in the summer and freezing in the winter

We built a dry stone dyke wall in front of the School building , the hard bit was collecting the stones big enough to build it

I remember the school won the Tug of War that year ,I was on the team &

have a Medal to prove it,we beat the Sergeants ,who I,m sure were feeling no pain with ale .

The food was great ,the Sergeant cook was a Giant of man ,a gold medalist & the corporal also had a gold medal for cooking , rare for a National Service man.

I completed my 2 years national service at R.A.F. Henlow

Happy days ??

I should look out the old Photographs and post them.

Have you seen this other thread on here "Norton Aerodrome".

"I have just completed a non-commercial illustrated book on the history of RAF Norton. There is a copy in the Local Studies Library of Sheffield City Library. However, if anyone would like a pdf copy to download, please let me have your e-mail address. You should send it to nortonfacts@gmail.com

This is the e-mail site I used whilst compiling the book and I now only look at it occasionally. The further your request is from today's date (6th July 2010) the longer you may have to wait. There is absolutely no charge for this document."

• 5 weeks later...