Going on the No 2 and No 3 Circular Bus Route

I used to catch the inner circle-8and 9- from Burngreave to the Wybourn in the late 70's and don't remember S.U.T being involved, they seemed to be S.Y.T. and I think later on they had 'Bendibuses' on it.

---------- Post added 12-02-2015 at 02:20 ----------

I regularly drove the inner circle buses 8 and 9 in the 70's. AEC Swifts were used a lot by then and later some Leyland Nationals. By that time South Yorkshire Transport had taken over from Sheffield Transport and the route was run from East Bank Garage.

---------- Post added 12-02-2015 at 10:58 ----------

The No 31 ‘Little Walkley’ route first operated in 1954 with single-deckers (unusual at that time for an inner city route) which were quite small with only 31 seats but more room than usual for standing passengers. They were brand-new Leyland/M.C.W. buses, Nos. 222 and 223, that could cope with the steep hills. The route originally operated between Pond Street and Forbes Road, Hillsborough via Scotland Street, Meadow Street, Upperthorpe, Burgoyne Road, Walkley Road and Walkley Lane. It still operates as No 31, though the route has changed several times over the years and now serves South Road, for example. Here's a painting by the late George Cooper showing No 222 turning into Forbes Road, and here's an extract from an light-hearted article "Don't Miss the Bus" that I wrote for the First Mainline staff magazine "Routes":.:)

I remember the elderly crews who were “regulars” on the No 31 Lower Walkley route (known to transport staff as the “mountain goat”). This route used rather special hill-climbing single-deck buses, and the crews were special, too. One Sunday afternoon in 1958 I got on a No 31 at Forbes Road with a bag full of chrysanthemum plants, which my father wanted me to take to my bus conductor uncle Sydney who lived at Walkley. As soon as I got on, the conductor noticed the chrysanthemums and commented that they were “good healthy plants”. At the age of ten I didn’t know a healthy chrysanthemum from a chronically sick one - but I soon learned. Between leaving Forbes Road and arriving at Cundy Street I was given a detailed lecture on the finer points of growing chrysanthemums.

Thanks for that picture hillsbro, I have never seen that one before. The 31 was one of my favourite routes to work in the 70's, By that time they were front loader single decks, Leyland Tiger Cubs, AEC Swifts and later Leyland Nationals.

The No 31 ‘Little Walkley’ route first operated in 1954 with single-deckers (unusual at that time for an inner city route) which were quite small with only 31 seats but more room than usual for standing passengers. They were brand-new Leyland/M.C.W. buses, Nos. 222 and 223, that could cope with the steep hills. The route originally operated between Pond Street and Forbes Road, Hillsborough via Scotland Street, Meadow Street, Upperthorpe, Burgoyne Road, Walkley Road and Walkley Lane. It still operates as No 31, though the route has changed several times over the years and now serves South Road, for example. Here's a painting by the late George Cooper showing No 222 turning into Forbes Road, and here's an extract from an light-hearted article "Don't Miss the Bus" that I wrote for the First Mainline staff magazine "Routes":.:)

I remember the elderly crews who were “regulars” on the No 31 Lower Walkley route (known to transport staff as the “mountain goat”). This route used rather special hill-climbing single-deck buses, and the crews were special, too. One Sunday afternoon in 1958 I got on a No 31 at Forbes Road with a bag full of chrysanthemum plants, which my father wanted me to take to my bus conductor uncle Sydney who lived at Walkley. As soon as I got on, the conductor noticed the chrysanthemums and commented that they were “good healthy plants”. At the age of ten I didn’t know a healthy chrysanthemum from a chronically sick one - but I soon learned. Between leaving Forbes Road and arriving at Cundy Street I was given a detailed lecture on the finer points of growing chrysanthemums.

Where can I find out about George Cooper (the painter)?

• 5 years later...