What ever happend to a town collingham? called Mothersom!

lee steer

what ever happened to a town collingham? called Mothersom!

i am not sure if the spelling is wright for the mothersom town.. but.

in collingham there was sightings of spring heeled jack.

and all around uk mainly londan, Sheffield,

i am aware of a town disappearing called mothersom. just vanished off the map. ????

and close by is a church with Masonic symbols on 3 stone pillars, what was originally out side. but they moved it inside as its a very important piece of history what we dint totally understand yet... The symbols on this stone.. no one knows what they mean.

does anyone one have insight on this area, as its so fascinating

thanks lee.

http://www.cafepress.com/clothes_shop_

The name Mothersom is probably a mis-reading of what is marked on the OS map as "Wothersome Village" (it is shown on the map in "Gothic" script so that the capital 'W' looks like an 'M'). The present-day hamlet of Wothersome is just west of Bramham, between Leeds and York. It is near to the original Wothersome village which did indeed disappear from the map as an inhabited place. It is one of many English villages that were abandoned, probably during the agricultural depression of the 18th century, or possibly the depopulation that followed the Black Death in the mid-1300s. Collingham is about 3 miles to the northwest (but there is another Collingham near Newark).

I learned a bit about Wothersome village when walking in the area with friends who live nearby at Boston Spa, just off the A1. The village was apparently left derelict as the occupants had moved elsewhere in search of work, and the houses fell down and/or were used as a convenient source of building stone. All you can see is a clearing in the woods with "hummocky" ground where the foundations of buildings are just below the surface.

• 3 months later...

Archived