The best Gluten free places in sheffield!

hcotterill

ok thanks for the info, i wonder what this problem was called 20 or 30 years ago though ??

The autoimmune disease, coeliac disease was studied in Greece circa 1800. It was called Kollia - (latin Coeliac) disease.

Higher numbers of coeliacs are a result of better diagnostic techniques.

It's not just a bit of bloating or farting, undiagnosed or not following a gluten free diet can potentially lead to cancer.

• 3 weeks later...

Good places for GF food.

Las Iguanas - has a separate GF menu

The Old House, Broadfield and Common Room mark all the relevant products as GF if they are.

Eten Cafe offers lots of option.

The Frog and Parrot is apparently good at marking its products and has a gluten free lager too.

The Beer Engine (as indeed all venues should be by an EU law passed towards the end of 2014) are always good for easily highlighting which of their tapas dishes is GF. They also offer a GF lager.

Pierre Bistro is great.

La Mamas on Abbeydale Road has very few dishes that contain gluten.

Some people say they have a "gluten intolerance" as a trend thing but some do have symptoms from eating gluten. Some eat gluten free diets as a perceived way of losing weight, any weight loss will most likely be down to eating less processed food.

Coeliacs are different and eating gluten can cause both long term i.e. vomitting, diarrohea, headaches, nausea etc. Their lack of ability to absorb nutrients caused by their bodies "rejection" of the gluten and usually the rest of the food means they can have long term deficincies of nutrients which can lead to brittle bones, increased cancer risks etc.

• 2 months later...

A good thread for someone like me who is generally new to suffering with the effects Gluten Intolerance. When I travel as I often do, I generally keep close to commercial outlets such as Nandos and Pizza Express as I know they do GF options. It is good to see more local places offering a good variety of foods and I will be trying some of these out with my wife.

Another thing we have to look out for is places that sell GF beers, going out with friends for a drink can be a nightmare, but a few places are starting to sell beers such as 'Against the Grain' and 'Daura'. I recently discovered that the Coach and Horses at Dronfield sell some of these as does the Waggon and Horses at Oxspring. It would be good to hear of some other places as well.

Guest sibon

Another thing we have to look out for is places that sell GF beers, going out with friends for a drink can be a nightmare, but a few places are starting to sell beers such as 'Against the Grain' and 'Daura'. I recently discovered that the Coach and Horses at Dronfield sell some of these as does the Waggon and Horses at Oxspring. It would be good to hear of some other places as well.

If you are merely intolerant, rather than full blown coeliac, give Heineken, Amstel, Kronenbourg and Budweiser a try. These are all filtered quite a few times and have very little gluten. Heineken has a gluten content of <20ppm.

I can tolerate most Lagers and do on a regular basis:) Even a half of bitter has drastic effects though.

The Beer Engine now has 3 bottled gluten free lagers. The Broadfield does at least one, The White Lion on Chesterfield Road has a bottled one. The Sheffield Tap has at least one bottled GF too. Pizza Express sell GF beer and make GF pizzas.

I am Coeliac. before I was Diagnosed i had been reduced to very little activity because I was severely malnourished even though I was eating a "normal" diet.

My garden was a huge weed patch. I had been using the shower and stopped taking baths as I could not lift my self out of the bath. Climbing the stairs exhausted me. I found in the end that just dressing and eating breakfast was all I could do on some days. Realizing that I was dying I managed to get on the internet and used a symptom checker. It brought up two things one of which was Coeliac disease. I did not even know how to pronounce it , but got an appointment with my doctor and prepares a list of all the symptoms I had which by this time were so extreme they could no longer be ignored or dismissed as a mild food poisoning. Blood tests were followed by a visit to Gastroenterology for a Gastroscapy (small camera at the end of a tube and an instrument to take a sample) not the most comfortable experience but glad I did it. Gluten had destroyed all the villi, which are the means of absorbing the nutrients from food and I also had an ulcerated area.

When people dismiss my gluten free needs as trivial and trendy you will understand that I am intolerant of their ignorance and explain in detail how serious this condition is. Some people pale visibly as I explain how gluten destroys the digestive system after I have asked if they know how their digestive system works.

The pain and inconvenience of diarrhea is the least of the trauma. Many restaurant staff are totally unaware of coeliac disease and this is not surprising as so apparently are GPs. even though tests have been available for many years. Even a crumb of gluten containing bread or cake can have a detrimental effect on a coeliac sufferer. It is not merely a stomach upset or headache or rash it is the destruction of the body through the destruction of the digestive system and nothing is worth that.

My relatives don't like eating out with me as I make a huge thing of needing to be sure my food is absolutely gluten free, People have come out of kitchens to stare at me, others to re-assure me. This is my life and for many others on here it is yours too. Take care of it you are only here because you do.

Incidentally when I feel well enough to have a night out I stick to cider, spirits or soft drinks.

Edited by Margarita Ma

I suspect that even th daftest company promoting itself as having gluten free products knows about cross contamination.

Not worth polluting anyone, especially in light of the jail term for the fella on Easingwold whose shop's curry ended up killing some poor soul with some nut content.