Methane gas lamps in sheffield

Tooeg

I never realized that sewer gas was used to power these lamps. Did all the old gas lamps function in this way or was it just a select few as the web site quoted above seems to suggest? The old fashioned gas lamps were all over the city.

From memory, the sewer gas didn't actually power these lamps, but was burned off by them to prevent a gas build up, the light was a useful by product.

Bottom of Handsworth Hill just before the junction with Prince of Wales Road .Working up to its disappearance some years ago.I think its only gone in the last 20 years or so ,but perhaps thats just me growing old.

Powered by gas from "the darkie" a tunnel running under the bottom of Handsworth Hill, not a sewer though, actually the stream that runs through Bowden Wood.

Edited by Odd-jobs

I don't know if you have allready listed it but there is one that looks like it used to be a sewer lamp on London Rd on the corner by the Chemist where the Cream horn pub i think it's called is,one of the cross bars where they used to put a ladder up is missing as well as the glass top being damaged,such a pity as they are part of Sheffields History..

I don't know if you have allready listed it but there is one that looks like it used to be a sewer lamp on London Rd on the corner by the Chemist where the Cream horn pub i think it's called is,one of the cross bars where they used to put a ladder up is missing as well as the glass top being damaged,such a pity as they are part of Sheffields History..

Oh I so wish it was called that. :hihi:

It's The Cremorne.

Yes I mentioned it in my post #27 above, as being at the Junction of Alderson Road and London Road.

I never realized that sewer gas was used to power these lamps. Did all the old gas lamps function in this way or was it just a select few as the web site quoted above seems to suggest? The old fashioned gas lamps were all over the city.

Webb lamps served a specific purpose of burning off the dangerous methane that builds up in the sewers.

They were subject to a programme of refurbishment (which I think included a connection to the gas supply)following a grant back in the 80s but I think that ran out some time ago and little if any maintenace is done these days.

The ordinary gas lamps that used to provide lighting burned ordinary town gas ,most being converted during the 60s for electric lighting.

Dont know how the methane is dealt with these days.

Updated list

The ones in bold still remain, the * indicates the lantern (top) is missing.

Alderson Rd

Bishopcourt Rd *

Brincliffe Edge Rd/Union Rd

Burnaby Cres

Camborne Rd/Fox Hill Rd

Eldon St/Westhill Lane

Frog Walk/Cemetery Rd

Jenkin Rd/Tipton St *

Kent Rd/Nicholson Rd

Lancing Rd

Leavygreave Rd

Moor Oaks Rd

Mulehouse Rd

Oakland Rd

Park Lane

Rural Lane

Rushdale Rd

School Rd, Crookes

Shiregreen Lane

South View Rd *

Stewart Rd

Stothard Rd *

Toftwood Rd *

Westbourne Rd/Ashdell

Worrall Rd *

The one at Rural Lane looks really nice.