Methane gas lamps in sheffield

Tooeg

Great!! photo's,i love the old style lamps as they looked fabulous as well as giving off light,the same can be said for the old buildings with having such thought and craftmanship put into them,i doubt if they have the capability now as it's mostly prefabricated blocks.....such a pity today that we have lost most buildings and lamps of yesteryear......

Great!! photo's,i love the old style lamps as they looked fabulous as well as giving off light,the same can be said for the old buildings with having such thought and craftmanship put into them,i doubt if they have the capability now as it's mostly prefabricated blocks.....such a pity today that we have lost most buildings and lamps of yesteryear......

Have you been to Stratford-upon-Avon? They have refurbished and installed loads of old style street lamps that have been donated from different councils all over the country (there may even be some from abroad). They're on the street that runs behind the RSC theatre.

Edit: You can see them on Google street scene. The street is called Waterside.

Edited by the_rudeboy

• 4 months later...

I never noticed until today, although I've walked past it hundreds if not thousands of times.

A streetlamp that is extremely old. Done a quick google and it is apparantly a methane gas light, run from sewer gas?

Anyone know the last time this was alight? Are there any more in Sheffield.

As a relatively young person (33) it amazes me that we used to use methane from the sewers to light lamps like this!

Spot on, very interesting read.

Sheffield had the most of any other city/town because of our Hills. Methane build up was the problem, and these were the answer.

Burning city gas 24/7, the fire would draw up any methane gas and burn it off, stopping any dangerous build ups.

We had 86 of them, and around 22 still remain, very few in workable condition and only 1 that still works, maintained by locals.

Nearly 100 years old, these relics should really be maintained as they were predominantly a Sheffield thing!

Far from it, obviously Sheffield is large anyway, but it's the fact that Sheffield is very hilly that lends itself to the dangerous build ups apparantly.

Anyone who knows Oakland road will know what I mean - its a killer when you walk up and down it a few times, pushing a pram or lugging up shopping or something!!!