The Ball Inn (Crookes)

yeeha

I used to work there. Had many a chat with the landlord about how the brewery were pushing for a restaurant refit. As far as I was aware he was successfully fighting it off.

Most pubs these days HAVE to refit to serve food to reach a profit, but the Ball pulls this off on business alone. It's a lovely pub, and I genuinely think that having a restaurant in it wouldn't make it any better.

I don't know if it's true or not, but I would presume the landlord is continuing to fight the idea of it.

It wouldn't make any sense, due to where the brewery wanted to put the kitchen (in the garagey type building round the back. They'd lose the pool table and some of the seating area to the restaurant. It'd heavily affect punters coming in or not.

We did a roaring trade in pasties when we started selling those, however I can't see a restaurant getting much business. It's primarily a sports and ale pub, and it does very well from it.

• 1 year later...

Archived