New changes at the ODEON!

A.GSheffield

A friend and i FINALLY went back the the ODEON today, to find that they are slowly turning the place around.

*They have new tills, and soon you can pay with chip and pin.

(It's the norm everywhere else, but it's a start)

*They have something called 'the directors chair' - if anyone's intrested il type them up for you. I imagine they have them on a bored i just picked up a leflet.

*The place is going through a mass clean, i saw someone doing such a good job on that kiosk area..self service? i actually felt safe to eat somthing.

A memeber of staff told me that they are 'going live' with the new system next week - so i guess we can pay with chip and pin then. They say that they have to wait for head office to give ODEON sheffield the attention it needs.

We'll at lease the staff are helpful. They know there films. We they did with me. I throught i was a film buff.

Odeon is still by far the worst cinema I have ever visited and I'd recommend anyone to make the effort to go elsewhere if possible.

Recently I went to see a film in screen 7 there and as the film started it was clear the image was not being projected correctly at all. The image was far too big (around 6" on every side) for the screen so it either fell onto the red curtain or the black screen which was very distracting. I quickly got up to bring it to their attention, missing the start of the film, but after I told a member of staff nothing else was done. I complained afterwards and was told that they couldnt make the changes while the film was in progress and gave me 2 complimentary tickets. Fair enough. Went back to see another film and they hadn't corrected the problem. The bare minimum that a cinema can do is project a film competently but even this is beyond the capabilities of the Odeon.

The odeon is a bit of a joke all round, we went there the other day and got our card refused as the 'signature on the back couldn't be seen' when it could, the screens are probably the smallest I've seen in any cinema (including the local tiny fleapit that I used to go to when I lived in a small town back in North Wales), and they offer hardly any films anyway.. rubbish.

I don't think the owners are interested in city centre cinemas (they're closing all over the country) so we're probably lucky it's still there at all. Maybe not for long.

I hate out of town complexes and would rather see a film in a proper town centre if possible. The Showroom is obviously a great asset, but sometimes you have to go to the mainstream cinema. I agree the Odeon is rubbish though (and a monstrous carbuncle to boot).

The Odeon would fare better if it was closer to the Tram route IMO.

Which is partly why Cineworld is so popular, cos you're straight off the Meadowhall bound Tram, and you're there pretty much, they also need to make their prices competitive, to compete with the VUE at Meadowhall and Cineworld at Centertainment, not just for the actual movies, but for the refreshments as well IMO.

Which is partly why Cineworld is so popular, cos you're straight off the Meadowhall bound Tram, and you're there pretty much, they also need to make their prices competitive, to compete with the VUE at Meadowhall and Cineworld at Centertainment, not just for the actual movies, but for the refreshments as well IMO.

What are you on about? It would fare better if it was not a complete dump! It's a city centre cinema, it should be doing well, it's in a prime location it's just rubbish.

Its five minutes walk from castle square tram stop, how much closer do you want it to be? Cineworld gets more trade than the odeon because its not like sitting in a tramps front room. If they cleaned it up a bit it would do a lot better.

Odeon is still by far the worst cinema I have ever visited and I'd recommend anyone to make the effort to go elsewhere if possible.

Recently I went to see a film in screen 7 there and as the film started it was clear the image was not being projected correctly at all. The image was far too big (around 6" on every side) for the screen so it either fell onto the red curtain or the black screen which was very distracting. I quickly got up to bring it to their attention, missing the start of the film, but after I told a member of staff nothing else was done. I complained afterwards and was told that they couldnt make the changes while the film was in progress and gave me 2 complimentary tickets. Fair enough. Went back to see another film and they hadn't corrected the problem. The bare minimum that a cinema can do is project a film competently but even this is beyond the capabilities of the Odeon.

Exactly the same happened to me in screen 7! I went to see a NEW RELEASE, the new batman film and we were all cooped into what i can only describe as dingy dark cestpit (they didnt even have drinks holders on the seats!) and 15 mins after the film should have started the screen was still black, i went and told someone who sorted it out but the screen was tiny and it ruined it to be honest

Anyway, last saturday we went to see another NEW RELEASE, The Strangers, and they packed us into that screen 7 again! I couldnt believe it! I know full well they have better screens, it was busy as it was a new release and they packed us all in there! Needless to say ill travel all the way to Cineworld next time even though I live two mins from town!!!!!:rant:

Archived