1 x cup plain flour

1 x cup milk

1 x cup eggs these usually measure out to 3 eggs depending on size of eggs

salt and loads pepper

whisk flour eggs together then beat in the milk,

then leave 10 to 15 mins DO NOT WHISK OR STIR AGAIN

pour into really hot pudding tins middle or top of oven 190 - 200 degrees

PERFECT

i also slice a large onion gently fry with plenty of seasoning until caramalised add generous amounts to pudding tins put in oven till very hot then add above mixture:hihi::hihi:

obviously not brought up with rationing, my mum used 1 egg whether cooking for 2 or 12, but as I've said earlier it never came out right.

Of course the proper(it doesn't look right with 1 p or 2) way is to cook it in the roast pan after the joint, while the meat sits destressing or whatever it does, not these poncy little individual tins

Nobody mentions Seasoned Yorkshire Pudding anymore , my grandmother made the best, with sage & onion and what else I don't know. I have to mention the normal kind, we got a piece for 'starters' with gravy, a square of pudding with the meat and veg and then a piece for 'afters' with jam on it. I know everybodys groaning right now and saying 'so did we all, so did we all.'

As I said previously, I like the Aunt Bessie's frozen puds - and to be honest I really cannot see why I need to go to all the bother with mixing batter etc - however, if I want larger puds or 'feel the need' to cook them myself I learned one or two tips which seem to always make them turn out ok.

really repeating what people have said but they do seem to be the 'golden rules'

Oven must be nuclear hot - and so should the oil in the tins prior to the batter being poured in - a good tip is to put the pudding tin on the stove top while the batter is being poured over a low heat - otherwise work as quick as possible when pouring.

Ideally the batter should be made the day before and kept in refrigerator. Stir it just before pouring. If you cannot make it ahead of time then make the batter according to your fav recipe then once beaten add a large teaspoon of flour and stir it in - dunno why but saw this on a Jamie Oliver program and I never looked back

My OH who is a... southerner... god... Im so ashamed... used to make Yorkies nine to a tray, those little round things until I showed her the proper Yorkshire way to make them and now she makes huge ones in a bloody big tray.

Ideally Id like it on a plate by itself with lots of gravy before the main Sunday meal but she wont do that for me so she still needs a bit of training.

Nobody mentions Seasoned Yorkshire Pudding anymore , my grandmother made the best, with sage & onion and what else I don't know. I have to mention the normal kind, we got a piece for 'starters' with gravy, a square of pudding with the meat and veg and then a piece for 'afters' with jam on it. I know everybodys groaning right now and saying 'so did we all, so did we all.'

:love: so did my nannan! sunday dinners havent been the same since she died :( We used to have a piece with gravy, then the meat and veg after but never tried them with jam!

In fact, I am going to learn how to make yorkies, then progress to seasoned ones, then do a sunday dinner with the pudding first :hihi:

My Mum and Dad and me lived with my Nan until my sister came along when I was eight.

Up until that time my old man had never cooked a Sunday Lunch - it had always been done my his Mum or wife.

We got our own house and Dad announced he was going to make the lunch on Sunday. All these many years later I can still remember that meal.

As mentioned in other posts we used to have our pudding served first with gravy. Nan and Mum always made the pudding in a tray, not single puds, but their results were a 'poem in batter'

You could have built a house with what Dad put on our plates - didn't rise at all - just a thick slab - admittedly cooked - but just one thick slab of cooked batter. And the gravy.....he had thickened it with a full packet of cornflour I reckon - cus if he used the pudding as his bricks, the gravy was the cement.

Mum and me were to polite to say 'owt to him, but following Sunday Mum was back in the kitchen, with Dad 'just going for a livener' down the local.

Many years later I was cooking Sunday lunch for them when they came to my own family home - and I mentioned this to him. He gave me a smile and said "Do you think I was bloody stupid lad? (even in my forties I was still his lad) - if your Mum caught on I could cook I would never had seen t'pub again on a Sunday Dinner"

Never knew if he was joking or not - to be fair, when he did cook tea etc it always turned out ok

Archived