Pho68 - opinions

chinaski

Rubbish. If I pay for vietnamese rolls I expect vietnamese rolls. Especially after I ate them on a boat in Halong Bay :)

Not quite sure whether you are saying Espanyol's opinion is rubbish, or whether you are saying Pho 68 is rubbish?

Anyhow, i'm sure that if Espanyol tries Wong Ting on Matilda Street he/she will have an altogether different experience. For a start, Wong Ting is Chinese, not Vietnamese, cuisine.

I rate Wong Ting personally - it's a while since I've been there but the buffet is very good value - and unlike a lot of Chinese places, it's not all pre-cooked and help yourself kind of thing. You order whatever you want from the menu and it comes fresh, served at your table. And yet you can have as much as you like.

There are dozens of these "fake" Vietnamese noodle places springing up all over the place. And they are definitely fake. That doesn't mean they aren't enjoyable - but for anyone that's been to Vietnam and eaten proper Vietnamese food you'll find these a massive disappointment.

Vietnamese food is probably one of the most delicious in the whole world. It is a mix of influences of French cuisine (because France used to rule the area of Indo-China in the past) and an Eastern cuisine. It's nothing like Chinese food with all its gloopy, sticky sauces. It's a beautiful mixture of things like lean cuts of meat, marinated with spices and lime and lemongrass and fresh herbs, very light and extremely tasty.

I honestly don't know of a good Vietnamese restaurant in this city - and that's not knocking Pho 68 or any of the other places pretending to be Vietnamese. They are, after all, an advance on pot noodles I suppose.

Pho 68 is one of my favourite places to eat in the city. No, I haven't been to Vietnam (egad, but I'd love to though!) but in the meantime, I enjoy the food, the service and the environment of Pho 68 (and especially that they'll put whatever you can't manage from their massive set menus into a takeaway package for you!)

No, it is not a piece of Vietnam here in Sheffield, but it is a nice place with a food cafe atmosphere.

I've been here two or three times and it's one of the best places on London road. I've been to Vietnam so I realise it may not be greatly authentic in pho68 but it's very consistent and the servings won't leave you hungry!

Pity they don't have any bia hoi though...

Rubbish. If I pay for vietnamese rolls I expect vietnamese rolls. Especially after I ate them on a boat in Halong Bay :)

I doubt they were called 'Vietnamese rolls' in Ha Long.

This is the problem with Pho 68 - translation. I presume funkymiss and Espanyol were expecting goi cuon, and were disappointed not to get it, but goi cuon doesn't translate as 'spring roll' or 'Vietnamese roll', so the restaurant wasn't wrong to serve you something different. Furthermore, were a Vietnamese person to try and work out what 'spring roll' means they're unlikely to conclude that's what you're talking about.

My biggest problem with Pho 68 was that I found it impossible to order the food I wanted, because it wasn't written in Vietnamese. You have to rely on English translations and, as we've just demonstrated, they sometimes leave a lot to be desired.

Went in one raining Saturday afternoon for a quick bite to eat and had their lunch menu for £5.80. HUGE portions, very tasty, the food arrived quickly and was red hot. Have been back quite a few times since and never dissapointed, another good sign is that it is always quite full.

• 2 months later...

Went here on Saturday and was very impressed with the food and service. Was busy when we went in but they gave us a ring when a table was free so were able to pop to the Cremorne next door til then. The food was tasty and good value and portions a good sized. Will definitely go back again even if it wasn't quite as authentic as a vietnamese I had in Hackney once it was still very delicious.

I really love this place, its not too expensive and the food is lovely, especially the starter that you share (can't remeber exactly what its called) its a platter of lovely little bits and it's delicious! It's definitely worth a visit

We had this on Saturday, delicious, here's a pic!

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/388969_10150985604565455_839980454_21722803_960978070_n.jpg

The main course selection was really nice too:

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/390313_10150985609190455_839980454_21722827_662812571_n.jpg

• 7 months later...

I realise this is an old thread but ive just been to this place for the first time today for lunch but and i was impressed, does anyone have any recommendations what to eat from here both from the lunch menu and the evening one

thanks

Archived