Pub opposite Tinsley Tramsheds?

Texas

THIS is worth visiting.:thumbsup:

.....these are the previous occupiers till a couple of years ago (Sheffield Bus Museum) at the tramsheds. The NEW occupiers currently moving in -to TWO large bays , are the South Yorkshire Transport Trust -who were formally at an old steelworks on Kimberworth Rd ,Rotherham. They have a collection of around 70 vehicles ,mostly ex South Yorkshire pte buses ,and are hoping to have regular open days when they have settled in!. For basic info of the group check this - http://www.sytt.co.uk ;) The South Yorkshire Transport Museum still continues at Aldwalke , Rotherham. Hope this makes things a little easier to understand! :thumbsup:

The Tinsley hotel was I believe a beer only house. I had a friend whose parents were the tenants there in,I think,the post war period. His sister was at one time the landlady of the Hallamshire on Commonside. He told me that in the days of 10 'o' clock closing they lined rows of pints on the bar at five minutes to ten and when the factory shift changed at ten allthe workmen rushed in . There was officially no drinking up time in those days. The road at the side of the pub led past Tommy Wards scrapyard to the railway and the canal locks - did a bit of trainspotting there in the 1960s.

Texas, I remember a pub opposite the tram sheds at Tinsley, it was next to Tinsley wire mill from recollection, there was a footbridge between the two that went over the canal.

correct mi owd mucker :hihi::hihi:cant think of the name though i'll ask tony when he rings me.but someone will come up with it.:huh:

Hi Texas, the only pub to avoid the desolation was indeed the Commercial which is still there next to the old tram sheds. There was a pub which stood opposite to the tramsheds called the Burns Hotel. I have no idea when this was demolished, the little side road next to Tinsley Wire is called Burns Terrace. The Tinsley Hotel I believe was situated on the other side of Burns Terrace roughly on the site of what now is Carphone Warehouse in the corner of Meadowhall Retail Park. :rolleyes:

Hi Texas, the only pub to avoid the desolation was indeed the Commercial which is still there next to the old tram sheds. There was a pub which stood opposite to the tramsheds called the Burns Hotel. I have no idea when this was demolished, the little side road next to Tinsley Wire is called Burns Terrace. The Tinsley Hotel I believe was situated on the other side of Burns Terrace roughly on the site of what now is Carphone Warehouse in the corner of Meadowhall Retail Park. :rolleyes:

...the pub beside the tramsheds (Commercial) was demolished around 3-4 years ago as i mentioned in an earlier posting :thumbsup:

I was reminded the other day of a pub supposed to be opposite the old tramsheds at Tinsley. Now I suppose that the tramsheds, and the whole area, has been totalled a long time ago but the pub (I'm led to believe)was left standing amidst the desolation.

This guy who told me all this was the son of the landlord, a man with the surname of King.

Does anyone remember the pub, or indeed,the landlord? The guy, the son, was one of twins but they look more like Dud 'n Pete than twins.

it was tinsley hotel ,commercial across the road played darts there for years

i think there was another one near the tinsley hotel on the short side street

I have read with fond memories about the pubs at the end of Weedon Street and Tinsley terminus.

I started going in the Commercial in 1965. Marge and Reg were the Licencees then,I worked up the road at Edgars.

Diagonally across Sheffield Road was the Tinsley Hotel,I never went in there much.

Across the road was the Union, a John Smiths House, this was a great place.

We used to get sandwiches from the shop up the road and go in the Union for a couple of pints of Magnet.We would go in the back room where they had one of the best Juke boxes in Sheffield with great selections.

But the Commercial was the main pub, a great pint of Wards.I wish I had a pound for every pint I'd had in there.

Going the other way towards Rotherham,past Edgars and Hadfields and over the bridge was the Plumpers.I remember going in the "old" Plumpers on Sheffield Road and the "new" Plumpers that finished on the side of the motorway roundabout.

Then going further down Sheffield Road, past the Tinsley Club on the corner of St.Lawrence road was The Fox and Duck, originally a Tennants House.I remember getting plastered on Queens Ale a few times.This was a really nice place for a night out especially at week-ends when there was entertainment of a modest sort.

Sadly things change,but the memories linger on.

hi cf8m

the pub oppersite weedon street was the tinsley hotel and was at the bottom of lock house lane if you went up this lane you passed a firm called sheffield hollow drill,then into thos wards yard if you went over the footbridge it took you to ranskill road and the site of the tinsley park colliery regards aj

Archived