Sheffield Children's NHS Parking

Hi,

I have just been offered an 18 month contract job at Sheffiled Children's Hospital. I have to confirm if I actually want the job nextweek, so before that I wanted to know if there such a thing as a staff car parking permit?

I live in Blackburn,w hich is just over 40miles away. So petrol will cost me quite abit.

I wanted to know if there is any free parking around Sheffield where I can park and then catch a bus to the hospital.

I could contemplate living in Sheffield for the 18 months but that would cost me just as much on petrol or maybe a little more per month.

Any tips?

Thanks

I'd ask the department who offered the job what their advice is. Unfortunately, the council decided that they wanted to stop people commuting to Sheffield by car so blanketed the area with a parking permit scheme/short term pay & display bays.

Frankly, if the cost of moving here for 18 months is "little" more than the cost of commute, I'd say do it, given that it will save you a minimum of two hours' travelling a day.

If you are going ahead with it; I don't think you'll find anywhere to park anywhere near the hospital. It's surrounded by three other hospitals and a University, in a residential area; the roads are choked with parked cars at the best of times. The hospital is well served by buses, so it ought to be possible to park somewhere on your way in (depending which way you're driving) and complete the journey by bus.

Hi,

I have just been offered an 18 month contract job at Sheffiled Children's Hospital. I have to confirm if I actually want the job nextweek, so before that I wanted to know if there such a thing as a staff car parking permit?

I live in Blackburn,w hich is just over 40miles away. So petrol will cost me quite abit.

I wanted to know if there is any free parking around Sheffield where I can park and then catch a bus to the hospital.

I could contemplate living in Sheffield for the 18 months but that would cost me just as much on petrol or maybe a little more per month.

Any tips?

Thanks

You will struggle to park anywhere near the hospital, as the area is mostly permit parking. Assuming that you would drive to Sheffield along the A57, you should be able to park for free in Crosspool and catch a 51 bus direct to the hospital. This will take 10-15 mins.

I wouldn't fancy the drive on a daily basis , it will be very difficult in bad weather. Lower your stress levels and come and join us in Sheffield:):)

Having done Sheffield to Liverpool regularly.

I'd say that doing the drive daily through winter will kill you.... It's bad enough in summer.

You'd need to allow 2 - 2.5 hours each way, if the traffics good you'll do it in 1.25 hours but the frequency of accidents in the bad weather will double it some days.

If I was to join you in Sheffield and live there for the 18 month period. Where is the best cheapest but livale place to stay and how much will it cost me.

A quick search on google told me it will cost around £500 a month for a 1 bedroom flat.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Archived