Endcliffe Park - weighing scales

CHAIRBOY

• 13 years later...

No, but I remember the old lady who used to weigh people for an old penny on a huge set of brass scales like a sort of swing in the Norfolk Market hall with all the flower sellers - we used to pop thro there on the way from Castle market to Sheaf market and then to Pond St bus station. I remember the place whenever I go into a proper florists and get that sort of damp musty smell - even 50+years later

1 hour ago, Allusadeedah said:

No, but I remember the old lady who used to weigh people for an old penny on a huge set of brass scales like a sort of swing in the Norfolk Market hall with all the flower sellers - we used to pop thro there on the way from Castle market to Sheaf market and then to Pond St bus station. I remember the place whenever I go into a proper florists and get that sort of damp musty smell - even 50+years later

I think the scales had a genuine leather- sort of suspended - chair to sit in whist weighing.

On 07/09/2008 at 18:45, CHAIRBOY said:

Just seen a thread about Avery scales. Does anyone else remember the lady who weighed people, manually, near to the wooden cafe in Endcliffe Park in the early 60's?

Hello CHAIRBOY.

Remember them / her well. Just up from the cafe and just before you go up to the boating pond.

I can't remember boats on there but late 1800's early 1900's you could hire a boat for 6D per 1/2 hour apparently.

Couldn't find a picture of the lady with the scales, but back then we hadn't reached the point where every bugger has a camera in their phone and splashed anything and everything on social media 8)

See the source image

7 hours ago, Allusadeedah said:

Norfolk market hall had gone by the time we came down here, but found this for yer.

See the source image

I know the pictures a bit grainy but she must have found the grottyist corner of the market to set up in.

8 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

Hello CHAIRBOY.

Remember them / her well. Just up from the cafe and just before you go up to the boating pond.

I can't remember boats on there but late 1800's early 1900's you could hire a boat for 6D per 1/2 hour apparently.

Couldn't find a picture of the lady with the scales, but back then we hadn't reached the point where every bugger has a camera in their phone and splashed anything and everything on social media 8)

See the source image

Norfolk market hall had gone by the time we came down here, but found this for yer.

See the source image

I know the pictures a bit grainy but she must have found the grottyist corner of the market to set up in.

Yes, Norfolk Market Hall was demolished around 1959 and I only recall the scales being  near to the Broad Lane entrance to the old Sheaf Market (rag n tag).

3 hours ago, St Petre said:

Yes, Norfolk Market Hall was demolished around 1959 and I only recall the scales being  near to the Broad Lane entrance to the old Sheaf Market (rag n tag).

We'd end our shopping trips with my gran at the Rag n Tag & catch the train back to my auntie's at Heeley. 

Happy Daze 8) .

9 hours ago, St Petre said:

That's where I recall seeing her also. Close to the pet stall.

echo.

On 15/03/2022 at 23:50, echo beach said:

That's where I recall seeing her also. Close to the pet stall.

echo.

Actually you are right - that photo brings it back. I was only a nipper at the time, but remember my mum buying some foreign finches from the pet stall, and I'm sure that's where the flower stalls were as well. I remember my dad coming home and telling us that when the old lady died the scales (being pretty much all brass) were sold for scrap - which he found really sad as he used to work for W&T Avery's on Bridge Street and said they were really unusual and very old.