Have a look at these photos of sheffield

bsarider

Ok this is great thanks .Would have been easier if Langsetts Ave my luck.

I did see the Hillsborough barracks and that's where his father was an Army chaplain during the Crimean war.

I can't find where the young Thomas Leslie Crooke went to school in his youth ,as it was suggested his parents may have sent him away to school since he later in life attended Edinburgh University.

But each scene of Old Sheffield helps create a sense of what it was like then.

These site you mentioned are superb thanks again and again.Shane

there will be lots of pictures of the barracks - and it's still standing, although it's now a shopping centre

have a look for the date the grammar school opened in woodhouse, though that may be later than you're looking at, and in theory is too far away unless he was boarding (which may or may not have been possible)

Well I'm trying to produce a book about Surgeon/Dr Thomas Leslie Crooke his life

If googlemaps is correct in its location, then this:

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s17580

shows 84 as being a dental surgery (when the picture was taken) which shows some promise

have a rummage about in this section on the forum, and you should find some good maps from an assortment of dates, which will give you an idea of what was or wasn't standing at the date you were looking for

I'm off to bed now as it's way past the middle of the night! :wave:

getting closer!

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=t01552

if googlemaps has given the correct location of number 84, then this is right on the doorstep!

That looks close...

The position of 84 on the Google map that you posted (84 Langsett Road, Norton:hihi:), shows almost exactly where the old Petrol Station used to be. (now replaced by flats)... and off the top of my head where the young lad gets picked up by his Dad on 'Full Monty'.

Have you seen that film researcherNZ? If the google position is right, and you've seen the film, you've seen the exact spot! (assuming I'm right with the film reference position, of course)

Yes thought you'd be in the wee hours of the morning and also yes have seen the Full Monty so will get it out again.I had no idea filmed in Sheffield though.

Have found some great pics of Barracks and I believe thye may have suffered during the Flood time too

Next will look for schools as I know there's a Crooke's Endowered School somewhere but not sure if any way related to that family .

This has been wonderful help thanks Ash,shane

Yes thought you'd be in the wee hours of the morning and also yes have seen the Full Monty so will get it out again.I had no idea filmed in Sheffield though.

Have found some great pics of Barracks and I believe thye may have suffered during the Flood time too

Next will look for schools as I know there's a Crooke's Endowered School somewhere but not sure if any way related to that family .

This has been wonderful help thanks Ash,shane

Crookes Endowed School is adjoining St Thomas' Church, Crookes. I married there, and held my wedding reception next door, in the hall in CEC ("Crookes Endowed Centre") as it is now known.

if you multimap or google-map it, it's facing onto the street called (simply) "Crookes" opposite the top of School road, just below Carson Road. You can get an aerial/ birds eye view, and you can see St Thomas Church and the Wesley hall "meths", just above it, on the upper side of Carson Road

Archived