George Longden, Builders

yrab

When I worked for the Midland Bank in the early 1970s (the branch which is now the Banker's Draft pub) we had Longden's accounts. I remember that the firm was very carefully managed, and it had a long history, back to the 1830s/40s I think. Longdens had built the extension to the bank branch in c. 1960. At that time their HQ was in St Peter's Close (off Hartshead but hard to find!)
as i remember it had a large arch way and was opposite st peters close,had to call in once when changing sites,they were working on the cathedral at the time i think so would have been early seventies

as i remember it had a large arch way and was opposite st peters close,had to call in once when changing sites,they were working on the cathedral at the time i think so would have been early seventies

That's right - it's a red brick building featuring an archway at the main entrance, on the bottom side of St Peter's Close. I think the building had a complete "makeover" and now houses modern offices. I don't recall Longdens being there after about 1980 - could be mistaken.

When I worked for the Midland Bank in the early 1970s (the branch which is now the Banker's Draft pub) we had Longden's accounts. I remember that the firm was very carefully managed, and it had a long history, back to the 1830s/40s I think. Longdens had built the extension to the bank branch in c. 1960. At that time their HQ was in St Peter's Close (off Hartshead but hard to find!)

Thanks for that reminder hillboro, went past it on St Peter's Close everyday, thought l reconised the name that was in the 1960's

I think that the Local Studies Library on Surrey Street will have some information about the firm and its history, but I just looked in the 1925 directory - at that time, Longden's HQ was at their "Park Wood Road Works" at Parkwood Springs.

Your mention of Parkwood Springs reminded me of "blitz night".

My Dad was a quantity surveyor(later director) and as soon as the "all clear" sounded set off to walk from the house where we had been sheltering ,nearNether Edge hospital ,to the office at Neepsend.

He went through the city centre which was still ablaze and saw burning buildings crashing down soon after passing them.He then walked to Siregreen to check on his parents.

If only he had had a bike!

yrab

I worked at Longden's from the late 1950's to 1968 leaving to have my first baby. They were based at St Peter's Close and also had an office on Church Street.Parking space was at a premium then some of the Director's using the garage which was under the building.The caretaker's name being Fred Barber who I believe also lived on the premises . The Company Secretary was Mr. Edward Fisher(known behind his back as Teddy) he was a local methodist lay preacher. He was of the old school very meticulous in all he did ,wages at that time were all done by hand and written in large ledgers. I had the job of helping Mr. Fisher balance them .Longden's were responsible for quite a few of the new buildings around the 60' and 70's including the Cathedral extension also some of the University Buildings including the Hicks building and the Chemistry block.

Hi,

I was most interested in your message as it appears that you must have known my Dad, Lawrence Jackson.I would dearly love to hear about him as we were separated for many years.

You are welcome to use my Email etc address(see message to Mr Hickman above) if you wish.

Thanks ,

Barry Jackson (aged75)