George Longden, Builders

yrab

I am trying to obtain information about "Longdens of Sheffield" who were responsible for many of Sheffield`s large building projectsCathedral ,university ,Hillsborough Cantilever Stand etc.

GEO; LONGDEN &SON Was a faily large builders in sheffield , an old friend of mine went to work for them, and that was duuring the early years of the war about19 42, they became a large building from then till about 1970 then i think it was taken over by a prefabricating firm , thats the last l heard about them. cheers Arthur.

Dear Mrs Hickman,

Thank you so much for your message;I can`t tell you what a pleasure it is to at last find someone with close connections with the firm .

Perhaps I should explain why I am pursuing this line of enquiry.

My dad started work there in1914 and left sometime after completing fifty years service.There was an item in The Star and a photo showing John presenting him with the clock he had had in his office for many years.

Sadly he and my mother separated in 1939 ,when I was six , and he was allowed to see me once a week.He was always reticent and disclosed very little of his life to me and I still do not know why my parents split up!

I am 75 years old and in poor health, but have been writng my biography,so have thought a lot about times past. It has always been a great pity that I knew so little about Dad ,but I hope to find something out by using this forum.

I know that he and Mr Hancock were close collegues.I have met him several times. After leaving Nether Edge Grammar school in1949 and before sarting work for the Inland Revenue I did a short spell of work at Longdens helping with some simple clerical work .

I saw most of the senior staff Icluding Jimmy Longden,Hamish,Percy Allen,Allan Hanwell Mr Fisher and wasimpressed by their friendy manner.

I have a photo (among others) at what appers to be a dinner where Dad is making as speech.Jack is sitting next to him and Hamish. Also oone taken at his retirement showing several members of staff.

I can scan them and send them to you if you wish ,but will of course ned you Email address.

Should youwish to contact me by Email mine is baz.jack@ntlworld.com

Do you know of a Mr Earnshaw?He used to be at GL&S and lived somewhere off Crookesmoor Road. Mother and I visited several times.

Did you ever meet my father?

We used to go to Hillsborough to see most of the home games and he used let me call in the office to collect a season ticket.

There is more I could write but will have to go now.

I would love to hear from you again.

Thank you again for being in touch;is has pleased me greatly.

Kind regards

(Lawrence) Barry Jackson

H Barry l missed part of your post before i quoted the old friend l referred to was Leslie Parker he would be a man at the time you was there he was a joiner and i think his older brother was there as well . CHEERS ARTHUR.

• 10 months later...
I worked for Geo Longden AND son AS an apprentice joiner from 1963--1968, i started at the Sheffield Cathedral and then on numerous contracts terminating at their joiners shop at parkwood road Neepsend. The company was never one of the best payers in the building tade but had a workforce of tradesmen seconed to none. My father (rip) was a tower crane driver for many many years and wouldn't have a bad word said against the company, he was so proud to have worked for such a prestigious Sheffield institution. I was one of the founder members of Longdens football team run by Peter Kenrick, i played a good few years and have lots of great memories. I also attended two re-unions which was brilliant to see the old faces again. Sadly lots missing.

hi there iworked for longdens from about 1971to 1977,i started as a labourer

thenwent onto being a tower crane driver,i worked on several sites in and around sheffield,and i remember ernest the lorry driver aslo lol.

the crane driver that taught me how to drive the cranes ,they called him

Roy Udall.there is alot of people i can remember working for longdens.

I worked for Geo Longden AND son AS an apprentice joiner from 1963--1968, i started at the Sheffield Cathedral and then on numerous contracts terminating at their joiners shop at parkwood road Neepsend. The company was never one of the best payers in the building tade but had a workforce of tradesmen seconed to none. My father (rip) was a tower crane driver for many many years and wouldn't have a bad word said against the company, he was so proud to have worked for such a prestigious Sheffield institution. I was one of the founder members of Longdens football team run by Peter Kenrick, i played a good few years and have lots of great memories. I also attended two re-unions which was brilliant to see the old faces again. Sadly lots missing.

I used to know quite a few of the players for Geo. Longden. Steve Hill. Roger Thompson, Ralph Lyons, Mick Wright. to name a few. I turned out on a couple of occassions to help out. Also I knew a man called Jack Frow who used to be Stores manager around 1966 is at Neepsend.

• 2 years later...

All,

We at Longden Doors the Sheffield based manufacturer are celebrating our 175th Birthday in 2013 and are interested in any indivduals who may have any historic photos of George Longden or historic premises for example that we could borrow or if you have personal links to the Longden doors business from personal experience or relatives etc.

If so, we would love to hear from you, please contact Richard Moss via email - richard.moss@longdendoors.co.uk.

Thanks

• 7 years later...
On 1/29/2008 at 5:58 PM, Welsh Girl said:

I worked at Longden's from the late 1950's to 1968 leaving to have my first baby. They were based at St Peter's Close and also had an office on Church Street.Parking space was at a premium then some of the Director's using the garage which was under the building.The caretaker's name being Fred Barber who I believe also lived on the premises . The Company Secretary was Mr. Edward Fisher(known behind his back as Teddy) he was a local methodist lay preacher. He was of the old school very meticulous in all he did ,wages at that time were all done by hand and written in large ledgers. I had the job of helping Mr. Fisher balance them .Longden's were responsible for quite a few of the new buildings around the 60' and 70's including the Cathedral extension also some of the University Buildings including the Hicks building and the Chemistry block.

I worked there in the 60s at St Peter's Close . Remember the Christmas parties at the Blind Institute where Mr Fisher would oversee the bar . Apart from the above jobs we built the multi storey car park with the Cavendish Club in the basement  and many others . I worked with Ron Jones and Dennis ? , Bob Littlewood , Keith Marshall , Alwyn ? , Great place to work .

Edited by kenl22
Wrong name

On 3/16/2005 at 4:11 PM, yrab said:

I am trying to obtain information about "Longdens of Sheffield" who were responsible for many of Sheffield`s large building projectsCathedral ,university ,Hillsborough Cantilever Stand etc.

They, along with Boots, Flanagans and Gleasons built most of Sheffield in the 1950's. They hired half of Ireland as laborers.  I worked on a lot of their projects.

There was one more major builder but I can't remember their name.

Anybody?

Longdens built the extension to Eldon House, on Charter Row, during about 1970 to 1973. The extension dwarfed the original building, which was built, I think, by Boots in the early 1960s. 

At the time the extension was built, I lived next door to one Victor Harrison who claimed he designed the extension.

On 1/28/2008 at 10:07 AM, yrab said:

Dear Mr Hickman,

I was delighted to receive your message and thank you.

From what you say it seems likely that your grandfather and my father were collegues.

My father was Lawrence Jackson and started work with Longdens when he left school in1916 and retired in the late 60`s .Does this correspond with your grandfather`s time at the firm? I have several photos taken at firm`s functions showing members of staff.

Would it be possible for me to speak to you on the phone?

If so ,please let me know your number.

Mine is 01493 661694 and Email baz.jack@ntlworld. com

I do hope that we will communicate further as it means a great deal to me.

Many thanks ,

Barry Jackson

Hi Barry . Do any of your photos relate to the period 65 -68 ? I worked there then with Ron Jones and Dennis ? I remember the functions well , Christmas and Cricket matches with a Manchester firm . Christmas functions at the Blind Institute . ' Kitty the Sink ' , ' Jake the Peg ' have lived in my memory as well as the annual revue ' At St Peters in the Close ' which was an irreverent look back at the events of the year in poetic format . Good days indeed .