Real Ale pub for a wedding reception

prescottspie

Devonshire Arms Ecclesall Rd.

Hi James

Stage isn't essential if there is a good enough space for use by a band, and so long as your license is agreeable with live music! I may even be able to get hold of some portable stage blocks for the night. I will try and pop down at some point soon to take a look - I have your mobile number from the web, so will call first to check you are around.

Thanks

Rob

PS - Dawn (assuming it is you that posted from D&R) - I'd have loved to use D&R, silly me for getting married on a Friday!

I've got some friends who are having their reception at the Red Lion at Heeley. I think it ticks all your boxes apart from (maybe) the catering

Red Lion as in the one time Q's pub? Didnt think it was a real ale pub?

[edit] or did you mean the white lion (green fronted pub) - which might be worth a look in actually.

You could try the Blackamoor at Troway or whatever it is called these days. It is a huge place with aspirations to be a gastro pub. A good range of real ales and I have seen bands play there before. There is a large decking outside for the fag merchants.

Thank you for all the suggestions so far guys, a lot of excellent suggestions.

Unfortunately the Hillsborough Hotel could only offer us a small space in the bar, sharing with the regulars, which wouldn't really be big enough.

Grindleford and Troway are a little too far unfortunately, because a lot of our friends rely on public transport (last train from grindleford is quite early). It's a shame, because the Maynard looks amazing!

Red Lion as in the one time Q's pub? Didnt think it was a real ale pub?

[edit] or did you mean the white lion (green fronted pub) - which might be worth a look in actually.

No, I do mean the Red Lion that was once Mr Qs. Its had a revamp and had 3 or 4 real ales when I went in...there's a thread on here somewhere that was going on when it first opened that talked about the beers it had.

I know lots of people have asked about reception venues before, but I have some specific requirements I would like to fill:

It must be a decent bar - so real ales preferably, nice spirit selection wouldn't go amiss.

Needs to hold potentially up to 100 people

Needs to have a stage or appropriate floor space for a band

We would also like to have our own catering there, and a nice enough area for smokers.

Can anyone recommend a place?

Cheers

Rob

Have u tried George IV,Infirmary Rd? Excellent function room,holds upto 150 people,plenty of room 4 live band and real ales too,give them a ring if ur interested on 0114 2333408, or pop in and view the room and see for yourself!:hihi:

• 1 month later...

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions so far. Since my last post we have been to see quite a few pubs, but have yet to find one thats quite right.

Devonshire Arms - James, I popped in to have a look but unfortunately I just don't think we'd get 40 odd people together in one part for the food, nor would we be able to get a band in I dont think. Shame, because otherwise it's a lovely place!

A lot of places we have looked at just don't have a big enough function room, bar the Highcliffe on Greystones Road - but it's up for sale.

Best one I've found so far is Cross Scythes at Totley, but I am still on the lookout for somewhere a little bigger. I really like the idea of somewhere on the outskirts but still in reach of public transport like the Cross Scythes. What can I say, we're picky!

Any more suggestions would be gratefully received.

My brother had his at the Rockingham Arms in Wentworth which I think ticks all your boxes. However it might be a bit pricey and a little too far outside Sheffield, depending on where you are.

They have different sized function rooms and I have even seen a large marquee on the lawns so I guess it’s just a case of how deep your pockets are, they even have rooms available for anyone that may need to stopover.

Archived