Do you Remember Old Mother Riley

thai

• 1 year later...
nitelife40, you havent got anything on danny ross have you.

He also appeared in just one mother riley film but unobtainable even on ebay.

Danny ross as you know played the bumbling alfie hall on the radio show(clitheroe kid) and in the film the love match which i managed to obtain.

Do you remember when Arthur Askey asked him his name in The Love Match? It was Alf Hart. Work it out for yourself, but Big Hearted Arthur's reply was 'Not in my house you won't'. Such innocent entertainment - where did it go?

They were very popular in the forties, along with Frank Randall and George Formby. I think they were husband and wife, both from Ireland.

Kitty was indeed from Ireland but I read somewhere that Arthur was from somewhere in Lincolnshire. He died on stage in Hull and is buried there, their films were great fun and not a swear word to be heard, God rest his soul.

Old mother Riley used to do a turn on the stage at the variety theatre and the lady next doar to us on Priory Terrace took in lodgers Arthur and Kitty were regulars. They used to sit in the front garden and argue no end, odd how serious commedians are most of the time.

Lucan and McShane hated each other. I think she was only 15 when she married him. It appears she had a succession of 'friends' and he didn't like it. Kitty was the boss of the team too, but really - what was she without him? - nothing. All I remember her saying was 'Oh Mother'. I believe her parting shot to him at his funeral was 'You B-----d'.

I'm sure I used to go to see Old Mother Riley and her daughter Kitty at the Pictures. Slapstick comedy which made me laugh at the time and I'm sure wouldn't now.

Hazel

I have a couple of Mother Riley DVD's Hazel and he still is funny in places. It's his gestures - they crease me up.

Thai, Nothing wrong with your memory at all.The old woman wearing her apron and hair done in a bun. The couple were Arthur Lucan and Kitty Mcshane I think there was a link on here about them at some stage, I hope I got the spelling rite. Very well known they were

Vera

she indeed was real!!! i have her autograph!!! and a photo!:)

Kitty wasn't much, any woman could have done her job, Athur was the talent at the time "she" made us roll up just when we needed it during the war. ITMA was the other one and the crazy gang and there was that Yorkshireman with the Piano used to give pennies away, what was his name. Artur Askey when he asked for a cup of tea without sugar the girl replied, " We haven't any sugar you'll have to have it without milk".

All tame stuff now but we only had the wireless.

Kitty wasn't much, any woman could have done her job, Athur was the talent at the time "she" made us roll up just when we needed it during the war. ITMA was the other one and the crazy gang and there was that Yorkshireman with the Piano used to give pennies away, what was his name. Artur Askey when he asked for a cup of tea without sugar the girl replied, " We haven't any sugar you'll have to have it without milk".

All tame stuff now but we only had the wireless.

HI You mean Wilford Pickles and his piano accompanist Jean played Ena Sharples in later years, Cheers Arthur

Archived