Today we find God in a pipe in Geneva

Tony

...If CERN publicly stated that there could be no other explanation would we accept it?

I doubt it.

I get the distinct feeling from some folks that, despite saying they would accept God if evidence were presented, dismiss any evidence when put before them.

I think unless God comes and stands infront of those people complete with halo and bright light they wouldn't believe.

For some people it is not the lack of evidence that is the problem in believing in God but the refusal to accept there may be anything bigger than their own insignificant lives.

I doubt it.

I get the distinct feeling from some folks that, despite saying they would accept God if evidence were presented, dismiss any evidence when put before them.

I think unless God comes and stands infront of those people complete with halo and bright light they wouldn't believe.

For some people it is not the lack of evidence that is the problem in believing in God but the refusal to accept there may be anything bigger than their own insignificant lives.

i'm pretty sure that this is true only for a very small minority of atheists.

That's rather the point. It's idiocy to accept the existence of anything unless compelling evidence requires you to do so.

Hmm, it is certainly beyond me to make a qualititive assumption, but say for example that the results show new particles, perhaps the elusive dark matter and that they behave with a well defined order, a plan if you like, they don't conform to any chaos models that we might expect... they show inteligent design.

Let's then say that their origin extends further back than the known particles, ie the intelligent design preceeds the standard model.

Might that be tantamount to evidence of God?

Sorry to be serious folks, but I was interested to hear how people might feel if our largest ever experiment gave us a nod in the direction of the existence of God.

I hope that it isn't too early to cast such a question on the waters of SF, if so I'll leave you to your frivolity.

Well, as a Satanist, I've chosen my side. So, if it proved that "God" existed, then I am His enemy.

Something along those lines did you mean?

Archived