Today we find God in a pipe in Geneva

Tony

Don't agree with any of this, why should God be completely beyond our understanding?

Give me one good reason

Just my gut feeling :)

If he created everything we know, he presumably created everything we don't know... we have a long way to go before we can hope to understand everything in the universe and then we might be in a position to try and understand the being that created everything.

;4036023']Indeed. Proving gods existence would make me a theist without an issue. But by doing so you simply make the questions of 'where do we come from?'' date=' 'why do we exist?' and 'why is there something rather than nothing?' far more complex leaving more questions than answers.[/quote']

Evolutionary science tells us a huge amount about how we got here but absolutely nothing about why we're here.

My own answer to the 'why' question is that there isn't an answer.

It's a bit like asking the question; 'why am I going to cook Saturn's rings on toast last week and will it stay edible in a land mines stomach?'

Do you see what I mean? There isn't an answer because the question is ridiculous.

Just my gut feeling :)

If he created everything we know, he presumably created everything we don't know... we have a long way to go before we can hope to understand everything in the universe and then we might be in a position to try and understand the being that created everything.

Sorry bro, but somewhat predictably, your gut feeling isn't enough to sway me on this one. I see no reason whatsoever why (in the hypothetical situation that our universe had a creator) that the creator would be by his/her/it's very nature incomprehensible to us.

Sorry bro, but somewhat predictably, your gut feeling isn't enough to sway me on this one. I see no reason whatsoever why (in the hypothetical situation that our universe had a creator) that the creator would be by his/her/it's very nature incomprehensible to us.

I try not to think with my gut. If I'm serious about understanding the world, thinking with anything besides my brain, as tempting as that might be, is likely to get me into trouble. - Carl Sagan

I did try to explain why I had that feeling for you.

Re-read the bit that followed my (somewhere flippant) gut feeling answer ;)

I did try to explain why I had that feeling for you.

Re-read the bit that followed my (somewhere flippant) gut feeling answer ;)

Whoever invented the machine at CERN invented a whole lot of stuff that i will never understand, however it doesn't mean that I couldn't get to know the men behind it, not at all.

Whoever made my computer knows a whole load of stuff that i don't, it wouldn't stop me getting to know him either.

If you studied, you could understand what you (at least to a reasonable level) the examples you gave there.

I think a God level of knowledge and understanding is slightly different to our own.

I'll leave it at that for now ;)

"Today we find God in a CERN LHC Large Hadron Collidern in Geneva"

Don't you just love it when a mod decides to change a thread title ....... and still gets it wrong?

Edit: 22nd Sept ... I now see that the title has returned to Tony's original text: "Today we find God in a pipe in Geneva"

Archived