Who did you see on the theatre stage ?

GLOS

I saw Laurel & Hardy at the Empire ( got their autographs on the programme )

I saw Bela Lugosi at the Lyceum, in 'Dracula'. He popped his head through the stage curtain after the show had finished to say " Have a safe journey home, but be careful ! There are such things as vampires you know !!"

People today don't believe me - did anyone else see them ?

GLOS

I saw Bela Lugosi at the Lyceum, in 'Dracula'. He popped his head through the stage curtain after the show had finished to say " Have a safe journey home, but be careful ! There are such things as vampires you know !!"

That must have been September 1951 - see http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Aueo3mOrIKIC&pg=PA186&lpg=PA186&dq=%22bela+lugosi%22+sheffield+lyceum&source=web&ots=PGuAWRQ0Sp&sig=iSUOgRevjrWdFkRI3JyzxoUbmEg&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=2&ct=result

Laurel & Hardy were a bit before my time (but I remember them in the "Film Fun" comic).

Saw Issy Bonn at the Empire in 1956 and Arthur Haynes in pantomine at the Lyceum, c. 1961.

Thanks 'hillsbro'.

I saw them too, but in Variety shows.

Laurel & Hardy were around 1953 / 54, as I remember. Lost the programme when we moved house.

Also saw Eddie Calvert, Jimmy Clithero, Jewell & Warris, Hilda Baker, Tom Jones, Dickie Valentine, Ted Heath, Lita Roza, etc., etc. Used to go every week when I was about 13 /14 onwards, to either Empire or Lyceum - instead of 'Pictures'.

GLOS

Thanks again 'hillsbro', I was beginning to think that I was hallucinating !

You are probably right about the date. I went to City Grammar School from 1951, and my dad used to meet me after school for a night out in town. Memory's fading !!

I came from Uppertorpe ( behind the Infirmary ), so night out in town was a big deal then.

GLOS

Laurel & Hardy were a bit before my time (but I remember them in the "Film Fun" comic).

Saw Issy Bonn at the Empire in 1956 and Arthur Haynes in pantomine at the Lyceum, c. 1961.

Arthur Haynes, huh?

I remember watching his TV appearances years ago and, even as a kid, wondered how on earth he got away with it!

Talk about the same show, week after week.

Nothing like him I know, but I always think of him whenever I see Harry Hill on TV these days....another distinctly unfunny man.

And once you notice his lip-licking habit - Arggghhhhhhh!

Yes - although Arthur Haynes wasn't bad in panto, on TV I think his sidekick had more talent. A young chap called Nicholas Parsons...

But Benny Hill was always my favourite - I envy "flyer" having seen him in person. Absolutely hilarious.

Back in the 1950s at the Empire I saw Edmond Hockridge, Yana, Robert Earl and Max Wall and at the City Hall Frankie Vaughan ~ best seats 8/6d.

Thanks Sharrovian.

What a 'galaxy of stars'! I saw most of them too. Talking about the City Hall, what about the Everly Brothers ! When the sang 'All you have to do is Dream', you could hear a pin drop. Also saw 'The Crickets' - after Buddy Hollies fatal accident. They were good. Worst of all was Ella Fitzgerald - with the Ken MacIntosh Orchestra. She was on stage for an hour and a half and only sang 5 or maybe 6 "skat"-type songs. I nearly fell asleep !

My favorite at the time was good old Lonnie Donegan.

GLOS

Archived