Who did you see on the theatre stage ?

GLOS

Arthur Haynes, huh?

I remember watching his TV appearances years ago and, even as a kid, wondered how on earth he got away with it!

Talk about the same show, week after week.

Nothing like him I know, but I always think of him whenever I see Harry Hill on TV these days....another distinctly unfunny man.

And once you notice his lip-licking habit - Arggghhhhhhh!

I'm inclined to agree about Arthur Haynes on TV. His style didn't adapt at all, but on stage, like many of the others he could get away with a lot more 'risquee' material. Bob Monkhouse was another example - far better live than on TV.

I also am not keen on Harry Hill.

Benny Hill was brilliant on TV and stage.

GLOS

Weren't Jimmy Jewel and Ben Warris both from Sheffield ?

Yes - and they were cousins, reputedly born in the same bed. Shortly after they formed their double act in 1934 they appeared at the Theatre Royal, not long before it burned down.

I saw Ken Dodd at the Lyceum when I was a nipper, some time in the 50's. I even went on stage with him when he asked for volunteers, my brother came on stage as well as some other kids. I ended up with a large box of Licorice allsorts. Everyone else got a small box. That's because I was the youngest.

My parents managed the Darnall Medical Aid Skiffle Group in the Fifties,and they once appeared in a variety show at the City Hall,sponsored by the Star,I believe.Terry Scott was top of the bill.In those days he did a stand-up act as a naughty schoolboy.My dad had a long conversation with him backstage,and said what a pleasant man he was.He sent me a personal message,which I still have.

Thanks Sharrovian.

What a 'galaxy of stars'! I saw most of them too. Talking about the City Hall, what about the Everly Brothers ! When the sang 'All you have to do is Dream', you could hear a pin drop. Also saw 'The Crickets' - after Buddy Hollies fatal accident. They were good. Worst of all was Ella Fitzgerald - with the Ken MacIntosh Orchestra. She was on stage for an hour and a half and only sang 5 or maybe 6 "skat"-type songs. I nearly fell asleep !

My favorite at the time was good old Lonnie Donegan.

GLOS

I too went to see the Everly Brothers in the 50s I was crazy about them! Funny thing is I only remember the girls screaming, and me wanting them to shutup then I could hear them. I must have heard them at one point though because I thought they sounded just as good live as on record :thumbsup:

I saw The Everly Brothers, Helen Shapiro, Manfred Mann, Wee Willie Harris, Jill Day, Ronnie Hilton, Lonnie Donegan, Small Faces, Marty Wilde, Ruby Murray, Tommy Trinder, Anne Shelton, Lenny the Lion, Acker Bilk, Shirley Bassey, Les Dawson, Tessie O'Shea, Bert Weedon, Nana Mouskouri, Jimmy Tarbuck, Anita Harris, Freddie Starr, Marti Caine, Engelbert Humperdinck, Mike Sarne, Johnny Matthis. There were more. Saw most of the very early ones from the 'Gods' at The Empire.

Archived