Who did you see on the theatre stage ?

GLOS

Just remembered:

The Spinners at the Fiesta in 1975 and the City Hall the following year.

Peter Ustinov at the Lyceum in 1997 and Patrick Moore there in 2000 - both of them unique characters doing very different one-man shows. Another one-man show was Chris Bonington at the City Hall in 1963.

Lonnie Donegan, Alma Cogan and Miki & Griff at the Hippodrome, London in June 1957.

My god Nigel that takes some beating!

As a kid I saw a lot of the mentioned artistes at the Empire ,but also at the Attercliffe Palace with an Oates Ice Cream in my hand,and sat by the bloke with the spotlights in the Gods. I saw Oliver Hardy after Stan had passed on. But I must mention one of my old favouries, Frank Randle. You can see his antics on Youtube Videos,especially the Drunk Scene. I saw Billy Cotton Senior, Chris Barber , the lad who played Just William, Archie Andrew and now to make you jealous, The Folies Bergeres. And More. What brilliant entertainment in those days for a meagre cost.

As a kid I saw a lot of the mentioned artistes at the Empire ,but also at the Attercliffe Palace with an Oates Ice Cream in my hand,and sat by the bloke with the spotlights in the Gods. I saw Oliver Hardy after Stan had passed on. But I must mention one of my old favouries, Frank Randle. You can see his antics on Youtube Videos,especially the Drunk Scene. I saw Billy Cotton Senior, Chris Barber , the lad who played Just William, Archie Andrew and now to make you jealous, The Folies Bergeres. And More. What brilliant entertainment in those days for a meagre cost.

Thanks Tets, I saw most of people mentioned so far but NOT The Folies Bergeres - my Dad wouldn't take me !!

I do remember seeing either Bertram Mills or Chipperfields ( I'm not sure which ) Circus on stage at the Empire, circus ring, horses, sealions, elephants ( I think ! ), acrobats, flying trapeze, clowns, etc., plus LIONS & TIGERS - controlled by a trainer with a whip & a chair ( believe it or not ), and performing inside a hastily erected circular cage within the circus ring itself, on stage !! Frightening or what !!

There were also things like Plays, Ballet, Opera, and of course Pantomimes at both theatres.

Did anyone see Bruce Forsythe, shortly after his 'Sunday Night at the London Palladium' stint, with a similar show, " on stage " at the Sheffield Gaumont ?

Others at the Empire / Lyceum - Frank Ifield, Al Martino, David Whitfield, Emile Ford, etc.

GLOS

Just remembered:

The Spinners at the Fiesta in 1975 and the City Hall the following year.

Peter Ustinov at the Lyceum in 1997 and Patrick Moore there in 2000 - both of them unique characters doing very different one-man shows. Another one-man show was Chris Bonington at the City Hall in 1963.

Lonnie Donegan, Alma Cogan and Miki & Griff at the Hippodrome, London in June 1957.

The FIESTA - Ahhhhh!

Bernard Manning, The Drifters, The Four Tops, Jack Jones, Clodagh Rogers, Olivia Newton John, the female trio with Sheila Ferguson in it ( The Supremes ?? ), etc., etc.

"Memories are made of this".

GLOS

I too went to see The Four Tops at the Fiesta, they were brilliant! This must have been early 70s, I remember there was this very rude comedian on first.

Tets I remember when I was a girl our grandma took us to Attercliffe Palace, this would be late 40s early 50s maybe. Well thinking back how children got in I'm not sure, but we went to see variety shows. What's wrong with that you might say, well posing in the background there was always a couple of topless women :o:shocked: anyone remember this?

Sheila Ferguson sang with the Three Degrees.

One entertainer who hasn't been mentioned, and who played the Empire, is Tommy Trinder.

A bit far back for some no doubt, but he certainly gave value for money. Apart from his act, and after his alloted time, he would interact with the audience, inviting people to bring up a subject and then he would 'riff' on it. He was funny and sharp. Nobody could better him, he invited hecklers really and usually shot them down in flames.

Three Degrees, methinks.....

Thanks RiffRaff & Texas. It was the Three Degrees. I remember now.

They were staying at the Fullwood Hotel ( I think that's what they called it ). I was delivering a Company Client back there after an evening out, and we were drinking and chatting to them in the hotel bar for a short while.

Tommy Trinder was brilliant.

What about the Crucible. Neil Morissey in 'William Tell', 'Chicago' before it went into the West End ? Any others ?

Didn't Bill Haley and the Comets ever come to Sheffield ?

GLOS

I have also been to the Folies Bergere and The Moulin Rouge. I was surprised how small the Folies were inside - no bigger than the Lyceum. Seemed like miles and miles of red carpeted stairs to get to the circle. Well worth a visit to both venues. We wanted to go to The Lido, but our money ran out.

Archived