Who did you see on the theatre stage ?

GLOS

I've just found a copy of The Star from Monday, August 25th 1952.

Here are the theatre listings :-

Lyceum (phone 22640)

Fred Emney, Richard Hearne in Emile Littler's Music & laughter romp "Blue for a Boy" With Entire London Company

Next week : Bruce Trent in the World Famous Musical "The Desert Song" with Eve Eacott & Sidney Pointer

Empire (phone 25121)

"Meet The Gang" starring Ralph Reader

Seats tonight: 4/6, 3/6, 2/-

Next week: "Dr. Crock and his Crackpots"

The Playhouse (phone 22949)

This week:Theatre closed

Next week: "Temple Folly" A comedy by Bridget Boland. Produced by Geoffrey Ost.

Prices: Stalls and Circle 4/6, 4/-, 2/9

Saturday evening: 5/6, 4/6, 3/-

Palace Theatre, Attercliffe (phone 41433)

"Naughty but Nice"

Back in the 1950s ... Frankie Vaughan

I met Frankie Vaughan a few times in the mid-1970s when I was 'working as a waitress in a cocktail bar'. He really was a lovely man (read some of the links), who'd remember your name between visits and ask after your family and colleagues.

He could sing a bit too ;)

Hallam Towers?

That was where most of the artistes stayed in those days. Better than the other Trust House Forte at the time, the Grosvenor in the city centre.

No. It was like an old country house - type place, 'secluded', in its own grounds, where you went through a 'railed' gate, up a drive surrounded by trees. Fulwood, Endcliffe, Ecclesall, Sharrowvale area ( rings a bell !). Ithink that you entered the gate from a small traffic island. I can 'see' it in my mind but I just can't remember the name.

GLOS

Could it have been the Kenwood Hotel? Now the Kenwood Hall - http://www.kenwoodhallsheffield.com/?gclid=CKK89abC2JUCFQ8nEAod-AmTYQ

I just remembered seeing "The Barrow Poets" at the Playhouse in November 1969. They were very entertaining - a mixture of lively music and funny rhymes. When I've had a couple of whiskies I can do a fair imitation of a Scottish rhyme that had the audience in stitches...:)

Could it have been the Kenwood Hotel? Now the Kenwood Hall - http://www.kenwoodhallsheffield.com/?gclid=CKK89abC2JUCFQ8nEAod-AmTYQ

I just remembered seeing "The Barrow Poets" at the Playhouse in November 1969. They were very entertaining - a mixture of lively music and funny rhymes. When I've had a couple of whiskies I can do a fair imitation of a Scottish rhyme that had the audience in stitches...:)

Thanks hillsbro, nailed it again !! That was the place.

GLOS

I met Frankie Vaughan a few times in the mid-1970s when I was 'working as a waitress in a cocktail bar'. He really was a lovely man (read some of the links), who'd remember your name between visits and ask after your family and colleagues.

He could sing a bit too ;)

Hi maggi.

I saw Frankie Vaughan at the Empire before 'Green Door' became all the rage - he was brilliant then. I also later met Dickie Valentine. He always used to stay at his friend's hotel ( The Brecon, on Moorgate, Rotherham ) when he was performing in the area. He would sometimes do a little 'impromptu stand-up spot' to entertain some of the 'parties' ( Christmas, Weddings, etc. ) that happened to be in the hotel at the time. He always used to say it was the 'first time' that he had ever performed in somebody's " front room " - only about 8 or 9 tables ! He was a brilliant comedian, impressionist, singer ( of course ), and a thoroughly nice man. Very under-rated !!

GLOS

• 2 years later...
Sheila Ferguson sang with the Three Degrees.

One entertainer who hasn't been mentioned, and who played the Empire, is Tommy Trinder.

A bit far back for some no doubt, but he certainly gave value for money. Apart from his act, and after his alloted time, he would interact with the audience, inviting people to bring up a subject and then he would 'riff' on it. He was funny and sharp. Nobody could better him, he invited hecklers really and usually shot them down in flames.

Tommy Trinder was doing his cabaret act at a top London venue (The Talk of the Town?). He began by saying "Ladies and gentlemen my name is Trinder." Amongst the diners a drunken Orson Welles, newly divorced from the gorgeous Rita Hayworth, shouted out "Then why don't you change it?"

Quick as a flash Tommy came back at him "Hello, are you proposing already?" Needless to say there wasn't another peep out of poor old Orson.

I saw Laurel & Hardy at the Empire ( got their autographs on the programme )

I saw Bela Lugosi at the Lyceum, in 'Dracula'. He popped his head through the stage curtain after the show had finished to say " Have a safe journey home, but be careful ! There are such things as vampires you know !!"

People today don't believe me - did anyone else see them ?

GLOS

I've written a book about Lugosi's Dracula tour, and I'm now in the middle of updating it for a reprint. Can you remember anything else about when you saw Dracula. Do you still have your programme? Any help will be credited in the new edition.

Archived