Who did you see on the theatre stage ?

GLOS

Tommy Trinder was doing his cabaret act at a top London venue (The Talk of the Town?). He began by saying "Ladies and gentlemen my name is Trinder." Amongst the diners a drunken Orson Welles, newly divorced from the gorgeous Rita Hayworth, shouted out "Then why don't you change it?"

Quick as a flash Tommy came back at him "Hello, are you proposing already?" Needless to say there wasn't another peep out of poor old Orson.

You pipped me at the post Jim. That's one of my all time favorite Trinder stories, bloody funny.

I saw L&H at the Empire, also remember seeing 'Old Mother Riley' and George Formby, Jewel and Warris and a few others.

Weren't Jimmy Jewel and Ben Warris both from Sheffield ?

I think they were cousins, but not sure. Legend has it they were both born in the same bed - in Sheffield.

• 2 years later...

it was about 1943 my mum took me to attercliffe palace to see jane the nude but they had to be still´, nat jackly ´,violet pretty´we use to go all the time jane had a cartoon strip in the newspaper

Chuck berry,and supported by erik burden and the animals singing House of the rising sun at the city hall around 1964.

:)

....and Carl Perkins. Do you remember how they cheered when they announced that the Swinging Blue Jeans wouldn't be appearing? I think they were replaced by the Nashville Teens (Tobacco Ro-wo-wo-wo-wo-woad).

Archived