Remembrance/Armistice Day (11 November)

More thoughts/questions:

Should it remind us of how terrible war can be so that we never allow it to happen again?

Should it make us thankful for the peace that followed?

Should it make us give thanks to the freedom/s those who died [allegedly] preserved for us?

I find myself torn between many emotions - sadness that men and women had to fight and die; thankful that they felt enough duty or pride to fight and die, to preserve their own freedom and that of their friends and family and the others who followed; despair that is should have come to that in the first place; greater despair that the lessons were not learned (twenty or so years later); hope that, as each war is consigned to the pages of history books, that one future generations will realise that killing each other is a terrible and wasteful way to settle disputes.

To me, rememberance Sunday is a time to reflect on the brave, couragous people who gave their lives so that we can live in peace today. I always take the two minute silence, to think of their lives lost, their families left behind, children growing up without their parents.....wives losing their husbands.....etc...

I think two minutes silence is the very least that they deserve, I find the silence quite moving especially when you're in a public place. Some people seem to ignorant to pay their respects, and that DISGUSTS me to be honest. I had radio 1 on a couple of years ago and they had two minutes silence, then played Embrace - Gravity, thougth that was very well done by them.

For me it meant standing for an hour in a freezing wind in Barker's Pool in my thin scout uniform in 1952. Eyes were streaming with the cold, - hands, arms and knees were a purpley/orange colour and completely numb.

However both my father and grandfather suffered quite badly in the two world wars and afterwards, but at least they survived. Many of their pals, - lifelong friends they joined up with didn't. So I didn't mind my little but of suffering.

Now when I see the mealy-mouthed politicians strutting up to the memorials with their wreaths - it just makes me want to puke.

Now when I see the mealy-mouthed politicians strutting up to the memorials with their wreaths - it just makes me want to puke.

Aye, it's annoying to think that none of them have the fogiest idea what service men and women have to go through!:mad: All they see is a few smiles when the politicans pay them a visit in Iraq/'Stan...but then miss the bombs... bullets...the horror of it all.

Its to honour those who gave their lives for this country.

Yeah exactly. For me though it's quite personal though because, although none of my family have died in a war fortunately, 6 members of my family have served in the armed forces (Army/TA) and I'm applying to become a warfare officer in the RN, so I think it's only right that I honour those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

To the generations which gave their lives to keep this country a free place to live and to secure our very way of life and our identity.

To stand there in silence and bite one's lip thinking how this government (heading a shameful list of successive governments but never one more keen to remove our history and hand over sovereignty to Brussels) is hell bent on destroying the very fabric which made up this once great nation, England first, Britain second.

And to wonder what the dead would be saying as they turned in their graves. Possibly a couple of words would suffice: what for?

To see how the enemy is no longer without, but within, supposedly elected in a supposed democratic country. New Labour should be as welcome at the cenotaph as Hitler himself. (At least the latter didn't lie about his true intentions.)

Then to say Thank You to all those who died or were seriously injured securing these very shores and with a sombre reflection to all those I've known in my life who have passed on, father first, everyone else second.

to quote from 'and the band played waltzing matilda'......

"The young people ask 'what are they marching for?' and I ask myself the same question"

honour those who fell, silently, soberly and with respect, then pray to whatever you believe in that one day all war ends, because up to now, it never really has.

Archived