Remembrance/Armistice Day (11 November)

I spend it thinking of my gg.grandfather and great grandfather my gg.grandfather was a sargent...

Serjeant CHARLES WILLIAM PORT

M M

L/7851, 1st Bn., The Buffs (East Kent Regiment)

who died age 34

on 08 June 1917

Husband of A. S. Port, of 63, Penfold Rd., Folkestone.

Remembered with honour

BETHUNE TOWN CEMETERY-which is where he remains buried.

And my g grandfather was a radio operator in the tanks.

Im so proud of them and everything they did.Does it really matter what war you think about on 11th. All of them thought in a war for our country . charlie x x x

Aye, it's annoying to think that none of them have the fogiest idea what service men and women have to go through!:mad: All they see is a few smiles when the politicans pay them a visit in Iraq/'Stan...but then miss the bombs... bullets...the horror of it all.QUOTE]

They don't have to go through out, if they don't get job satisfaction, do sommet else.

Quite interesting to see the old survivors on Remberance Sunday.

being stuck in the past once a year, seems a bit pointless and stops us from moving on.

No one want war, having a reminder that people have died in them to preserve our way of life helps us to remember war isnt a good thing and to be avoided if possible but also to let people know who are called today or in the future to make that same sacrifice that they will not be forgotten and that we appreciate them for what they do for us.

Try sending someone out to kill or be killed if they think no one gives a toss about them anyhow.

I think of all our brave young men who gave their lives so we could be free, we have two members of our family that never returned and whats more they knew they wouldn't return, one was a rear gunner or tail end Charlie as they were then known,who enlisted at eighteen and died at twentyone, and he knew the odds were stacked against him after his eighth sorte, but he vowed that Hitler would never put a foot on British soil.People may think we should get over it by now but we don't.Although these days I sometimes wonder what they would think of Great Britain today, I fear this is not what they hoped for unfortunatly.

I think of my great grandad and his brother on Rememberance Sunday. My great grandad fought in the trenches and fortunately lived to tell the tale. His brother wasn't so lucky and my g-grandad had to see his own brother blown to pieces. So tomorrow I'll be thinking of them and all the others who risked their lives.

I will be taking two minutes silence tomorrow, I'm working but if needs be I'll go out and have a few minutes to myself, it's the least that we can be. We're not reminding ourselves of the war, we're thinking of the familes and relationships broken apart by the tragedy of war. If people who don't agree with remembering them, imagine your husband/boyfriend/son/father never coming back, think, remember and be proud :)

personally, and i don't mean to offend anyone, i find it a bit odd that we keep reminding ourselves of a war that we won by chance over 60 years ago!

being stuck in the past once a year, seems a bit pointless and stops us from moving on.

Not just remembering those who died in WW2 but in all conflicts before and since.

We have to remember to learn and be able to move on.

Archived