Remembrance/Armistice Day (11 November)

Makes me greatful i dont have to go through what them brave men and women went through i have the most respect for anyone who served in the forces and who does now, i hate the fact when people talk through it or are pratting around through it they need to learn respect!

To me, rememberance Sunday is a time to reflect on the brave, couragous people who gave their lives so that we can live in peace today. I always take the two minute silence, to think of their lives lost, their families left behind, children growing up without their parents.....wives losing their husbands.....etc...

I think two minutes silence is the very least that they deserve, I find the silence quite moving especially when you're in a public place. Some people seem to ignorant to pay their respects, and that DISGUSTS me to be honest. I had radio 1 on a couple of years ago and they had two minutes silence, then played Embrace - Gravity, thougth that was very well done by them.

Nicely put, I agree ..

I too will be doing the two minute silence...

I suppose there are difficulties when the remembrance refers to all wars, each one of which has an entirely different moral complexion in terms of cause or validity. WWI was a stupid, senseless waste. WWII was worth fighting and has shaped our moral psyche ever since. The wars of today are morally murky and internationally counterproductive.

But at root, what it boils down to is this: those that signed up, whether to the armed forces or the effort at home, whether conscripted or eager, sacrificed their lives, their youth, their prosperity, their stability, their quality of life, their everything, in the belief that they were building a better world for all who came after: protecting our interests and way of life, standing up for what they saw as right.

Every war has had a cascade of fortunate changes; social, technological, political. Whether or not those changes were even the intention, I am grateful and humble that they ever occurred. No freedom that I take for granted has been won without the sacrifice and suffering of someone who went before. I honour every one of them, and only hope that the life I take for granted can continue indefinitely. And I hope that if it were ever threatened, I would have the courage to rise to the challenge of defending it, just as those brave souls who went before.

I work in a call centre and we'll be observing the two minute silence. I wonder how many customers will decide to complain that they're paying for the call :(

Had the same issues when I worked in a restaurant in meadowhall, quite clearly observing the silence and people shouting at waitresses for ignoring them for two minutes.

Its time to reflect on the (personally, for me) losses suffered in all wars and to remember the sacrifice made by people everywhere. Its also a time to remember how good we've got it today :)

I worked at Sainsbury's for a couple of years and saw some some very mixed reactions to the two minutes silence.

Usually it was just silent, people stood thinking etc, really nice. Another time there were a group of Chinese students who carried on talking and shopping, but when an old lady told them what was going on, they were absolutely gutted and immediately joined in the silence, no problem with them whatsoever, they clearly just didn't realise what was happening.

But on year there was this guy at my till going "oh come on, I haven't got time for this", wittering that he wasn't being served. When I did serve him, I practically threw his shopping down the belt, didn't speak to him at all and was blatantly rude to him :D Then of course I was nice as pie to the next customer!

I worked at Sainsbury's for a couple of years and saw some some very mixed reactions to the two minutes silence.

Usually it was just silent, people stood thinking etc, really nice. Another time there were a group of Chinese students who carried on talking and shopping, but when an old lady told them what was going on, they were absolutely gutted and immediately joined in the silence, no problem with them whatsoever, they clearly just didn't realise what was happening.

But on year there was this guy at my till going "oh come on, I haven't got time for this", wittering that he wasn't being served. When I did serve him, I practically threw his shopping down the belt, didn't speak to him at all and was blatantly rude to him :D Then of course I was nice as pie to the next customer!

Good for you! How rude and disrespectful can some people be.

I agree with something wrote above about the school children. I think they should be made more aware of remembrance day, i know when my little one is old enough to understand i will explain to him.

Archived