Remembrance/Armistice Day (11 November)

I think today is an important day to remember as we've all felt different about terrorism since. Before 9/11, it was the IRA we were frightened of bombing Britain, now we worry about Islam fantasists.

It's important to remember the tragic way that people died as well, watching those people jump out of those windows, the couple who held hands as they fell to their deaths...

I was on my way to London on a train, fast asleep when I got a call from a work colleague asking me where I was. I didn't know but I knew i wasn't far from london. She just told me to get out asap as they'd evacuated Canary Wharf and there was talk of closing the tube. My ex phoned me immediately afterwards also worried. I remember walking through Kings cross tube station feeling really worried, not really taking in the situations immensity.

I got to my hotel in St Johns Wood and didn't even bother going for anything to eat, just staring at the screen transfixed with horror.

I think today is an important day to remember as we've all felt different about terrorism since. Before 9/11, it was the IRA we were frightened of bombing Britain, now we worry about Islam fantasists.

It's important to remember the tragic way that people died as well, watching those people jump out of those windows, the couple who held hands as they fell to their deaths...

I was on my way to London on a train, fast asleep when I got a call from a work colleague asking me where I was. I didn't know but I knew i wasn't far from london. She just told me to get out asap as they'd evacuated Canary Wharf and there was talk of closing the tube. My ex phoned me immediately afterwards also worried. I remember walking through Kings cross tube station feeling really worried, not really taking in the situations immensity.

I got to my hotel in St Johns Wood and didn't even bother going for anything to eat, just staring at the screen transfixed with horror.

It is a day that I'll never forget, that's for sure. I was in Muswell Hill, North London, shopping with my then 2 month old baby daughter. I remember seeing people chattering away on mobile phones and crowded around a TV shop watching the footage. I got a phone call from a friend at the time that planes were still unaccounted for and after the 2nd tower had been hit. I went home and put on the news, and as you say was transfixed in horror. The worst aspect was watching people jump to their certain deaths and I recall being haunted by a huge photo of 'the man who jumped' on the front page of the Sunday Times that week.

When I collected my son from nursery that evening, the place was deserted and there was an eerie silence which was all pervasive. That night I went to bed feeling totally depressed, wondering what sort of world I'd brought my daughter into and if I'd been totally selfish in doing so.

I can remember exactly where I was too that day Edna, as I'm sure most people on here will remember as well.

I was off sick from work with a broken foot and I went shopping at Meadowhall with my foot in plaster and on crutches.

While I was on the tram on my way home I heard other passengers talking about America and the Twin Towers but I didn't pay too much attention to it.

It was only when I arrived home and my brother-in-law rang to say what he heard had happened that I put the TV on and saw the full horror of the attacks.

It's one of those times in history, such as the JFK assassination etc. when people will say "where were you when"?

I don't think Leviathan, by any stretch, would think that it was justified. By "America had it coming" he surely doesn't mean they deserved it; only that it was to some degree predictable, given the amount of hatred their foreign policy have (rightly or wrongly) stirred up in some quarters over the years.

That's what I meant. Put slightly better than I said it. ;)

Basically, America are like the school bully. They push others around, torment them on a daily basis and take what they can from other countries.

Then, when the other countries retaliate, it comes as a complete surprise.

I'm not saying those in the towers deserved to die, but it is understandable that there was a reaction on such a scale from countries that America has been screwing over for years.

I still also think that America had something to do with it, but that's a discussion for another thread.

I don't think Leviathan, by any stretch, would think that it was justified. By "America had it coming" he surely doesn't mean they deserved it; only that it was to some degree predictable, given the amount of hatred their foreign policy have (rightly or wrongly) stirred up in some quarters over the years.

Some may disagree- Listen to this video - watch how this fundamentalist - says Thank God for 9/11 - Thank God for 9/11, Thank God for dead soldiers .

The trolls on here won't sleep for a month..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-STpW7jarrs

Anyway, I want to add that the acts on 9/11 will never be forgotton as it has changed the way muslims are perceived. This was no way to make a statement and it was terrorism in the worst way- taking of innocent lives.

just thoughts of the day for me , I will never forget it and can remember calling my dad to tell him to put the tv on .A terrible day in history .
it's war, the 9/11v was the payback or the start of the muslim/christian war, many thousands more people have died becouse of it in the name of freedom,each day people who defend freedom get blown up or shot, innocent civilians get bombed which increase the numbers,and we are no further foreward in stopping the jihad than we were years ago,its going to go on and on,retaliation after retaliation because america actually got it's backside slapped when it thought it was untouchable,it's own arrogance caused it,yet it wants the rest of the world to sort it out with them,and the main reason is that america knows israel is going to be a target eventually and if they can concentrate the blame and get the western governments to side with them they know israel will be safe from attack, hundreds of thousands have died for some ideal that has a secret agenda

the worst partof it is british troops are dying for something that is nothing to do with our homeland security,they were sold out by blair and co. just to protect americas interests, then again, blairs kids arnt in the armed forces yet so it costs him nothing, but as we have seen, he is now well out of it and very well paid in his new job..

Archived