Remembrance/Armistice Day (11 November)

I'm with dozy and alistair on this one there is nothing glorious about dying in agony in a field in some foriegn land for the whims and machnations of politicians. Having said that I have a poppy on my jacket and will have my own "rememberance" on Sunday for me it will be a sad occasion with no glory in it. I think Eric Bogle's no mans land sums it up for me. June Tabors version is my favourite

And you can add my name to that list, except that I will wear a white poppy - not because getting killed whilst killing is glorious; I don't feel it is, but because often those who do end up fighting don't go to war with the same impression or understanding that most return with. I'll wear it because war is stupid and it wipes out the voices of those who would teach us most, if they could return. I'll wear it for those who didn't have the strength to say no and object. I'll wear it in memory of the millions of working class lads who fight and die for causes they are so often ill-informed about (and are lied to about). I appreciate what good can come from war, but a red poppy masks the horror by lauding the process of slaughter.

Glorious? No.

Here's to the troops who fell, and fall still, and shame on those who send them to fall.

Dont look for my grave

For I have no name

I played my part

In a Glorious game

Home for Christmas

but Christmas never came

I did not know the cause

For which I was slain

I lie with my brothers

Our youth will never fade

Dont look for my grave

For I have no name

And you can add my name to that list, except that I will wear a white poppy - not because getting killed whilst killing is glorious; I don't feel it is, but because often those who do end up fighting don't go to war with the same impression or understanding that most return with. I'll wear it because war is stupid and it wipes out the voices of those who would teach us most, if they could return. I'll wear it for those who didn't have the strength to say no and object. I'll wear it in memory of the millions of working class lads who fight and die for causes they are so often ill-informed about (and are lied to about). I appreciate what good can come from war, but a red poppy masks the horror by lauding the process of slaughter.

Glorious? No.

Amen to that.

Beautiful post, WoodForWood

StarSparkle

Archived