Remembrance/Armistice Day (11 November)

Dozy is in the same position to say that they weren't glorious, as you are to say that they were. That is, you both do so with your freedom of speech, which I don't believe necessarily exists because of millions dying in both World Wars. I for one don't expect that we'd all be speaking German etc etc etc.

Nevertheless, I'll remember the dead respectfully; lest I forget the horror.

Having read all the thread I cannot find anywhere that nosy nellie actually says anyone was GLORIOUS, the words were actually written by a soldier who was there at the time, wrote down in one of his songs

IMO nosy nellie replied quite rightly to a post by dozy, who IMO quite wrongly wrote what she did about the men who gave their lives

IMO also your post is just pointless and looks like it is just posted for the sake of posting looking for an argument

Why dont you have some respect for the OP who just wanted to create a thread of remembrance

I know that what I am writing is not in compliance with what the OP wanted but I was so infuriated by the people hijacking an excellant thread, I just had to reply

I am very sorry Agent Orange but theses people really infuriate me

Here's to the troops who fell, and fall still, and shame on those who send them to fall.

Dont look for my grave

For I have no name

I played my part

In a Glorious game

Home for Christmas

but Christmas never came

I did not know the cause

For which I was slain

I lie with my brothers

Our youth will never fade

Dont look for my grave

For I have no name

gone but not forgotten, this deserves to be repeated Shaun,:)

Sorry, Nellie, I misread your comment and was wrong. Thanks for picking up on it, e5cobar.

Comment deleted. :blush:

Thank You WoodForWood

Lets not argue about the why's and wherefor's,lets just remember with respect.And like I have said in another post.When Will We Ever Learn.

As I have said previously, I created this thread as a way of remembering the fallen and I merely quoted a few lines about the 'glorious dead' and the 'great war', not my words, but that of others. I didnt expect to be criticised for the use of such words and merely asked for such criticism or debate to be posted elsewhere so this thread can concentrate promoting the poppy appeal.

There is room for debate, of course, but I would prefer it wasn't made here given that this is a remembrance thread and nothing more. I appreciate what you have said, but opening debate on a thread to remember the dead is like someone debating the spoken word of someone's eulogy at a funeral service. There is a time and place and this is not it.

I'm sorry, but I feel very passionate about this as I have been touched by the horrors of war in recent months. I know what it is like to lose people in the conflict of war, I know of two comrades who served closely with my squadron who were killed in Iraq and Afghanistan, and I know there is nothing great about it.

AO.

Sorry, AO, but you know that's not how the Forum works. As long as the posts in a thread are on topic, people are entitled to make them.

Nobody has said that we shouldn't remember the dead - or be grateful to them for the legacy of freedom they have left us. But some of us just don't think that referring to the people who died for us as "glorious" is appropriate.

Just as I could never wear a poppy with "pride" - I could never be proud of the fact that millions of people died, in squalor, pain and probably fear, in the First World war. Or that they continue to die now. I can feel sorrow and pity for them, I can feel anger towards the politicians who use them as pawns in their power games. But I can never feel pride.

I wonder Dozy if the families of the "poor sods" would share your view that their loved ones were not "GLORIOUS"

What right do you have to say whether they were or not

And as for your response to the post which mentioned the glorious dead, that poem was written by a soldier in the trenches during the First World War and I would think that he was in a better position to judge how he felt about it than yourself

I have the right to express my opinion, just as you do.

The poem by Wilfred Owen that I quoted was also written by a soldier in the trenches in the First World War. I just happen to think that his view was a lot more realistic than the one AO quoted.

I have the right to express my opinion, just as you do.

The poem by Wilfred Owen that I quoted was also written by a soldier in the trenches in the First World War. I just happen to think that his view was a lot more realistic than the one AO quoted.

I studied Wilfred Owen at school, they are incredibly moving poems and I remember thinking at the time that they were so much more powerful and relevant than the modern poets we studied.

ive been out with a couple of old paratroopers today for a drink and to sort out where we are meeting up tomorrow to go to the rememberance day parade, they fought in the second world war and in korea, their honest opinion was.there is no glory in war.the pride of britain was killed off by those who made profit from it and lived a life of ease whilst better men died...cant say they are wrong

Archived