Only wounded, blind and crippled realise the sacrifice

Widows, orphans, wives and mothers speak of how their loved ones fell

England its your bounden duty, see they now are treated well

And our allies, they stuck with us in our time of strife and care

In the wild joy of victory, we must not forget their share

And the Kaiser will be wiser now, allas when its too late

He has earned Gods condemnation, and a universal hate

Had he fought with fair methods, we'd forgive a beaten foe

But the gassed and tortured bodies of our comrades answered NO!

Let his shame go down in history, passed on through each generation

And his title Kaiser William, greatest feind in all creation

But we look upon the bright side we have victory here at last

So in joyful celebration, we'll forget the bitter past

So fill up your glasses boys, we must dance and we must sing

Heres a toast to start the fun lads

Freedom, Allies and the King

Reuben Doyle-Price

I have the right to express my opinion, just as you do.

The poem by Wilfred Owen that I quoted was also written by a soldier in the trenches in the First World War. I just happen to think that his view was a lot more realistic than the one AO quoted.

What right have you to disrespect the dead?

The opinion you are talking about is the opinion of a dead man, how sad are you that you are that intent on an argument that you come on a respectful thread to argue with the words of a dead man

Soooooooooooooooooo sad!!!!!

Dozy, Everyone knows the reality of what happens in war and with respect you are showing very little respect for the thousands who did sacrifice their life on both sides. We know many of them didn't want to be there, but they were and they paid an awful price for the freedom we have today. The least you could do is show respect for that.

What right have you to disrespect the dead?

The opinion you are talking about is the opinion of a dead man, how sad are you that you are that intent on an argument that you come on a respectful thread to argue with the words of a dead man

Soooooooooooooooooo sad!!!!!

Saying that it's not "glorious" to die in a war is not disrespecting the dead. I've made it perfectly clear in my posts that I am well aware of what we all owe to the people who died during, and since, the First World War.

There's nothing sad in disagreeing with the words of a dead man. In case you hadn't noticed, the poem I quoted was also written by a man who's now dead. Do you disagree with what he had to say about dying for your country - if so, does that make you sad, too?

I didn't come on this thread to argue - I came on to state my opinion, which just happens to disagree with the opinions of some other people. That's what the Forum is about, people state their opinions and then discuss them with others.

Dozy, Everyone knows the reality of what happens in war and with respect you are showing very little respect for the thousands who did sacrifice their life on both sides. We know many of them didn't want to be there, but they were and they paid an awful price for the freedom we have today. The least you could do is show respect for that.

I do wish people would stop telling me that I have no respect for the people who died for their country, it's starting to annoy me, now.

I don't agree with the way that the dead are remembered by some people, I hate the way it appears to glamorise and glorify the act of dying.

Now, please go and read the poem by Wilfred Owen that I quoted in my first post. If you can't accept my opinion, then perhaps you can accept the opinion of someone who was there in the trenches of the First World War.

Saying that it's not "glorious" to die in a war is not disrespecting the dead. I've made it perfectly clear in my posts that I am well aware of what we all owe to the people who died during, and since, the First World War.

There's nothing sad in disagreeing with the words of a dead man. In case you hadn't noticed, the poem I quoted was also written by a man who's now dead. Do you disagree with what he had to say about dying for your country - if so, does that make you sad, too?

I didn't come on this thread to argue - I came on to state my opinion, which just happens to disagree with the opinions of some other people. That's what the Forum is about, people state their opinions and then discuss them with others.

No I dont agree or dissagree, I respect his words as I respect everyone elses views on things that they know something about, but as you abviously wasnt there then I must take the words of what I read from people who was there as fact, that doesnt make the words of *your* poet any better than the words of anyone elses they decide to quote

but

the thing is dozy (and a better name I couldnt imagine) everyone else has just quoted poems or lines

apart from you who actually has to make a statement and dissagree with people on a most respectful thread

which also you have been asked already to take your argumentative views on to another thread already and still you argue

such a sad life isnt it?

Where has Dozy not been respectful? You can't argue that someone is being disrespectful because they choose not to wear a poppy. It just does not logically follow. You can't make assumptions about people like that.

There is absolutely nothing wrong in choosing to remember the dead in whatever way suits you best. Owen and Sassoon, rather than jingoistic bad poetry, work for me.

They weren't all heroes - they weren't all there from choice - they were cannon fodder, sacrified by incompetent Generals in order to achieve very little, most of the time.

To be honest, I object to certain newspapers in particular calling the soldiers 'heroes'. I don't regard anyone who killed loads of innocent people as a hero, regardless of whether they were forced to do it or not.

Archived