Remembrance/Armistice Day (11 November)

As you may be aware, there have been significant recent cuts in the Territorial Army. As part of those cuts, my unit (not based in Sheffield) is not to attend a Remembrance Service and has the weekend off.

The above is unprecedented and very sad.

That said, I will be in Sheffield and am looking to attend a local remembrance service here in Sheffield.

Does anyone know the schedule for any parade or service in the city centre?

Maybe the student involved in urinating on the memorial, should also be made to attend. I am sure this will be a more humbling experiece for his actions, and to publicly experience the opinion of some of the ex service men/women.

The parade marches on at about 1030 with the 2 minutes silence at 1100. Then the laying of wreathes and then the march off at about 1130.

Its a nice service and I hope that this year it wont be marred by people walking around,or laughing and talking during the silence, as happened last year.

People if you must visit John Lewis at precisely 11am on Remembrance Sunday, show some respect and either use one of the back doors not on barkers Pool, or spare 2 minutes out of your too hectic schedule and pause to remember those who died so that you would have the freedom to do your shopping on a Sunday morning.

The parade marches on at about 1030 with the 2 minutes silence at 1100. Then the laying of wreathes and then the march off at about 1130.

Its a nice service and I hope that this year it wont be marred by people walking around,or laughing and talking during the silence, as happened last year.

People if you must visit John Lewis at precisely 11am on Remembrance Sunday, show some respect and either use one of the back doors not on barkers Pool, or spare 2 minutes out of your too hectic schedule and pause to remember those who died so that you would have the freedom to do your shopping on a Sunday morning.

there was a time when all traffic stopped ,shops would not serve anyone during the two minutes silence and people who were not at the service would stand still where ever they were at 11 a m out of respect

there was a time when all traffic stopped ,shops would not serve anyone during the two minutes silence and people who were not at the service would stand still where ever they were at 11 a m out of respect

Those times are very much behind us now.

people beeping the horns on their cars as well when they get held up because the veterans are marching is disrespectful also

This I do not understand. Anyone with an ounce of sense can work out when rememberance Sunday is. Also the time is always the same. So why are people in a hurry to get somewhere on Sunday!! Why not drive latter on.

Archived