Remembrance/Armistice Day (11 November)

Originally posted by 1000000000

What is the point of constantly having minutes of silence remembering a war that happened years and years ago! A lot of people these days probably don't even know what it was truly all about.

The First World War, and indeed the Second World War did indeed happen a long time ago. Both are moving from being part of living memory to being history. But that doesn't mean we should forget those who paid the ultimate price so that we can be free today. Also we should remember our brave soldiers who have given their lives serving their country in the Falkland Islands, Iraq, Yugoslavia, Northen Ireland and dozens of other hot spots. Whilst we can argue until the cows come home about the justification for these wars, I do not believe that anyone can deny the bravery of our soldiers. They deserve to be remembered.

Nobody makes the whole country go quiet. It's just that the majority of us are decent enough to do so.

I observed the silence but have no problem with people who didn't. At the end of the day it's choice and you can't condemn someone for not observing the silence as they could be showing their respects another way.

However, on the same token - I don't think it's a lot to ask and personally if someone phoned me during the silence from their work place because they had worked through the 2 minute silence I wouldn't be very pleased!

As long as they don't stop people who do want to observe the silence from doing so, I don't think it has much to do with anyone else!

Yes, I observed it because I can't begin to imagine what people went through - and are still going through - for us and I really respect them for that, however, you can't dictate that people will observe or not care, because it doesn't work like that.

That's your opinion and I don't eat biscuits...

But this is precisely my point! I'm not saying forget about them, I'm not saying don't teach kids about history in their history lessons.

I'm just saying let the people who want to remember, do so without making the whole country go silent for 2 minutes!

No one "makes" you respect the 2 minutes silence. You are FREE to do as you please in this country. Just remember ,if it wasn't for those people who fought in these wars you would't have that freedom.

What is the point of constantly having minutes of silence remembering a war that happened years and years ago! A lot of people these days probably don't even know what it was truly all about.

Okay it was a huge war, millions died, I'm not knocking any of this. But surely at some point we can stop these 'minutes of silence' as most people don't follow it anyway. Remember it at home, take the day of work, go to the loo for 5 mins... but have a look around - At 11 this morning there were people in town talking to each other, people on the forum writing, people at my work on the phones... life goes on!

considering how many people gave their lives so you can live in comfort I can't believe you begrudge being quiet for 2 minutes :loopy:

if people don't observe it they are just plain ignorant and stupid imo

I do think there are minute silences here and there too often but this is the one silence we should respect

i went to belgium to see the ww1 battlefields row upon row of white crosses. one read, i hope some kind hand in a foreign

land lays a flower on my sons grave. heartbreaking.

we owe a huge debt to our service men & women who have served in our countrys conflicts past & present and god forbid any future conflicts

Originally posted by pk014b7161

i went to belgium to see the ww1 battlefields row upon row of white crosses. one read, i hope some kind hand in a foreign

land lays a flower on my sons grave. heartbreaking.

we owe a huge debt to our service men & women who have served in our countrys conflicts past & present and god forbid any future conflicts

Very true, we cannot thank them enough.

Originally posted by msbehavin

It wasn't ' a war that happened years and years ago'. Remembrance is done to remember ALL those who lost their lives in ALL the wars including the very recent Falklands, Gulf and Iraq Wars. The current British Legion campain features mother and daughter Ann and Paygan Aston. They were featured on tv last night. Ann lost her husband and 3 year-old Paygan lost her father Russell Aston in a mob attackin Iraq in 2003

Indeed ! And Tony Blair will be at the Cenotaph on Sunday laying his wreath.

I hope he will be mindful of the 97 British service personel who have died in Iraq for no better cause than his peculiar vanity :mad:

Archived