Remembrance/Armistice Day (11 November)

Those times are very much behind us now.

Come lets be real : during the last 10 -15 years there as been a lot more places stopping on the 11th of the 11th : railway stations / airports etc these didnt stop 20 odd years ago so it is getting better.

Yes I appreciate that during the 1920s the UK stopped however there was a greater proportion of the UK that had either lost people or had connections with the millatry.

It is intresting to note that the Royal British Legion are reporting the highest number of poppy sales for some years so may be the remembrance services will be well attended

Maybe the student involved in urinating on the memorial, should also be made to attend. I am sure this will be a more humbling experiece for his actions, and to publicly experience the opinion of some of the ex service men/women.

ide rather see him behind bars for six months tbh

i hope he keeps his head down while hes out and about for his sake if the wrong person recognises him :help:

and he had the cheek to go to court today wearing a poppy :loopy:

Hi. As a newcomer to Sheffield, could you tell me where the armistice Sunday Parade starts and if medals are appropriate?

Regards

Willi841

Hi Willi

Ex servicemen will be forming up on Division Street from 10am onwards. Wear your medals with pride, whether you want to join the parade or just attend the service, which starts at approx 1030, when the parade marches onto Barkers Pool.

Yes I appreciate that during the 1920s the UK stopped however there was a greater proportion of the UK that had either lost people or had connections with the millatry.

We ALL have a connection to the military. We would not be living the lives we lead had it not been for those who fought in the wars. Therefore, I think we should ALL be there, every year, to show our respect and gratitude to those, living and deceased, who have fought to protect the people of our nation.

I remember when my grandpa used to take me as a little girl, there were thousands turning out to see the cadets, soldiers and officers marching in their long parades. It was a spectacle. Now it is rather pitiful. Well, the last two years have been in particular. Still, I shall continue to go each and every year, and instill the same mark of respect in my young son.

Hi

Am I right in thinking there is a rememberance day service tomorrow (9/11/2009) at the cenotaph outside John Lewis in Sheffield? I really want to go but can find no info on it whatsoever please help!

Thank You!

Fiona E

Remembrance day falls on the 11th November.

If the 11th does not fall on a Sunday, then the remembrance service at the War memorial in Barkers pool is held on the nearest Sunday to the 11th November.

Sunday 8th November is the nearest Sunday to the 11th November. Therefore the parade will be held on the 8th.

(there is also a slightly lower-key parade held on the 11th)

Archived