Remembrance/Armistice Day (11 November)

Just a question that's puzzled me ever since I moved to Canada many years ago. Why is it that in a country like Canada, also the US I believe, which did not actually incur the civilian losses that Britain did in WW2, Remembrance day is regarded as sufficiently inportant for there to be a national holiday, whereas in the UK only token recognition is given by comparison?

The 11th of November is always a statutory holiday here. If it does fall on a weekend, the following Monday is a holiday, i.e. long weekend. No shops or theaters are open, very few restaurants, and the war memorial ceremonies are well attended across the country. I am given to understand that no holiday as such occurs in Britain, just a service on the nearest Sunday.

Has the UK become blase about the loss of life in WW2, taking it for granted? Or, do people just want to forget about it? I was listening to a SW football game today (yes, that was not a good experience) when the commentator asked "Why is there a one minute silence?" Duh.:loopy:

I have just watched this and have to say I am humbled by what I've seen. So dignified, so professional. The 2 youngsters singing was particularly moving.

Spent most of the programme wiping tears away.

I only saw a bit of it but the children (if they're the ones I think you're talking about) were a tad painful to listen to at times.

Archived