Remembrance/Armistice Day (11 November)

Unlike the English poppy, the Scottish poppy has four petals and no leaf. Apart from being botanically incorrect, to put a leaf on each of the poppies would cost £15,000 each year, money Poppy Scotland feels is better spent on supporting veterans and their dependants in Scotland." poppyscotland.org.uk

In England, there was such a demand for the poppy leaf on the remembrance poppy, that more and more now appear with them fitted. As far as I know, the paper leaves are produced in, and shipped from Belgium (Cost)

The leaf, as I have always understood it, is to suggest growth and new life.

'From the blood of the dead, came life anew'

Am I still showing my support if I just put a quid in the pot and not wear a poppy?

You are still supporting, but arguably not showing it - other than to the collector - but I'm with you on this one - i've lost count of the times I've "bought" a poppy and then lost it

Also I remember when I was a kid that most of the poppies didn't have leaves, but year by year they seem to have become more prevalent and now seem to be the norm

I have the one I bought last year which has been stuck to my monitor at work ever since. I can assure you that it has a leaf.

I presume the BBC are using last year's too as this year's are not on sale yet.

Looking online it seems the leaf has been there for a while, but they didn't have one last time I bought one. In fact they still said 'Haig Fund' in the middle then after General Haig who sent thousands over the top to their deaths.

Archived